Chicken coop question

Bunny216

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Hi everyone:

I am new to this and I am just starting out for the first time with chickens. I put in my order to today and our "babies" will be here a week or two after easter.

Here's my question. I was looking at the coop pictures and absolutely fell in love with the coop called the "Chick Sha La". We are getting 24 chicks and I was wondering if the person that built this would have any plans available as I want to build that same one for my chickey's.

Will a medium sized as coop as it is in that category be sufficient for the amount of chickens I'm getting? and how do I go about contacting the person who build that coop?

Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

gloria:jumpy

Hi!! and Welcome!!!

I don't know how to contact that person, but maybe someone else will be able to tell you. I do know that the chickens need to have about 4 square feet per bird in there coop and about 10 square feet per bird in their run. So for 24 birds you will need approximately a 10x10 coop to keep them happy. This is just a general rule and there is much debate on whether 3 or 4 sq. ft are needed. The more room they have the less stressed they are and the less picking of each other they will do.

Welcome to the insanity of chicken loving and don't forget to post pics of your babies when they get here!!

Hi:

Thank you for replying to my post. The information about the room was helpful too and I appreciate that.

I'm looking forward to a very long friendship here with other chicken loving people. My husband and I have talked about this for years and I finally decided "let's do it and stop talking about it" so that is where I am now.

My father in law is lending us an 8 ft long cage to keep the babies in until they are ready to go out.

I really wish I knew of someone that could contact that person "Chick-Sha-La" so it would make life easier for us this week when we begin our journey of building our new pets their home.

I have already ordered chicken signs to put on it as I think that looks adorable.

Thank you again for the response and I will be sure to post a pic of the new babies when they get here.

gloria:bun

Pretty much any coop, you can take a careful look at the photos and draw up your own plan (hardly anybody will have plans available for you, although I dunno one way or the other about this one in particular). Just sketch it out, and make sensible assumptions about the internal structure
smile.png
The only part that's at all 'hard' is when you're building it figuring out which pieces have to be cut a little shorter to account for the thicknesses of neighboring pieces, but you can work that out (by trial and error if necessary) as you go along. Really it is not hard.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom