Chicken Coop Run Help

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Hawaii
I plan to build this coop.
http://www.thecreativemom.com/free-chicken-coop-plans/

4-6 chickens

I need help designing a run that would look good attached to this coop. I can reposition the door if it would make adding the run easier more appealing. I was thinking 8x8 for the run. Is that too small?

Any good plans for making a chicken run? I prefer not to put in 4x4 post in the ground.

Also the highest point to where I can attach the run flush to the coop is 50". I would like to be able to walk into the run aswell. Would I just make angle cuts to raised the roof of the run?

Another option is not covering the run. I live in Hawaii. Theres no predators from above but we do have mongoose. Does anyone know if they can climb up 1/4 in HWC?

Is there hardware I can buy or something i can build that can be placed at the top of the run to prevent climbing over?

Also the highest point to where I can attach the run flush to the coop is 50". I would like to be able to walk into the run aswell. Would I just make angle cuts to raised the roof of the run?

Another option is not covering the run. I live in Hawaii. Theres no predators from above but we do have mongoose. Does anyone know if they can climb up 1/4 in HWC?

Is there hardware I can buy or something i can build that can be placed at the top of the run to prevent climbing over?

Roller bars are used to keep dogs/coyotes from climbing over a fence, but I'm not sure if that's something that will work for mongoose. Maybe a strand of hotwire? I would think mongoose could climb a fence though. Maybe ask on your state thread what others do in Hawaii to protect against mongoose.

You could build the run totally around the coop so the coop is freestanding in the middle. Then it could be any height you want and the chickens could use the space under the coop for shelter/shade.

So there's this bird sanctuary on the westside of the island.
A fence with a combination of features– built approximately 6.5 feet high with a rolled hood at the top, fine mesh between the fence posts, and a skirt buried underground — prevents animals from jumping, climbing, squeezing through or digging their way around the fence and into the protected area.
https://www.google.com/search?q=kae..._AUIBygB&biw=412&bih=670#imgrc=tR7Ohg4B9t2CRM:

How would i make something like this?

You could build the run totally around the coop so the coop is freestanding in the middle. Then it could be any height you want and the chickens could use the space under the coop for shelter/shade.

Haha. That's a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of doing that.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom