Chicken Coop Size question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantimna, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I've been considering this coop for a long time, (Scroll Down) Hampshire Chicken House After doing some mesurements from cm to ft.. I thought it would be a great chicken coop. My question is, What are your opnions of it? Would you buy this chicken coop/s? How many hens will it fit, (3ft x 3ft x 6ft)?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    These coops are quite pricey. And they hold far less hens than they claim. A 3 x 6 coop can hold tops 2 hens. Best bet is to look for a shed on CL or in your paper. Think bigger cuz you are going to end up with more chcikens than you origanally thought. They are just too cute to pass on!

3. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    totally agree! far too small for the amount of hens their saying. i have a 6x4 foot shed for my 4 bantams, maybe could fit another 2 in. you will want more hens! it's true. It's funny that all the names for the coops are British county names! Good luck on your search!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with the others...2 standard birds or 4 bantam breeds is the most I would keep in a coop of maybe 9 sq. ft. in most areas. If you were in an area that doesn't have a winter season, you might be able to get away with an extra bird or two w/a nice large run, but you'd risk bullying/pecking behaviors IMO.

5. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    trust me u will want more i bought a shed from lowes which is a 10 x 8 and turned it into a coop and made a 16 x 16 run i wish now i bought a bigger one but when i get more money i am going to buy another one mine will fit up to 20 chickens its nothing fancey it protects the chickens and keep them dry and happy pic is posted below

[​IMG]

i told you it was not extravigant just something simple the building was 200 and the wood cost around 250 that was all i could affore at the time wish i had one like alot of people on here it only takes about 2 days to do it all then u can stary getting all thise cute little fuzzy babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by