Chicken coop size

Hi all. I'm new to chickens. Brought home 5 chicks and keeping them indoors til the weather warms up well enough. But need a coop pretty soon. The market is very overwhelming. I have 2 pullets and 3 bantams. How big/small of a coop do I need and there are so many designs and types I really am having difficulty deciding what to get them. :( Any suggestions are very welcome!!! :)

I recently bought 30 baby chicks and have 16 more coming trying to figure out how big of a coop do I need to make I originally planed on an 8x10 coop and most likely that is too small so would a 10x10 be big enough for 48 chickens? I have 2 adult chickens that will be going in the coop with the other 46... I need to figure this out due to I need to start building a coop within the next few weeks due to their gonna be out growing where i have them as of right now. Please help..

How big of an area do you have to work with? Where do you live? What type of weather conditions? What type of predator load (assuming that's why you can't free range at all?)?

Smallest size for that number of chickens would be 12x16' (JUST for the coop @ 4'/chicken). if you go less wide due to yard/area constraints, will need to be longer (8'x24' ; 10x20; 14x14'). If your chickens are in the coop for more than 24 hours straight due to bad weather, that truly isn't big enough in most cases...

Personally, two ways would be easiest. 1 is a shed kit from one of the box stores.

Another way is to do something with CP hoops. If go with just the hoops directly on small/short foundation, you will only be 8' wide. If you go with pallets or some other solid type base & use the CP for higher walls and roof, then can go as wide as the 12', MAYBE 16'. CP is easy to work with, can be utilized in many different styles and can be taken down. It can be made predator proof.

Your run, for the minimum of 10'/chicken) - if you go with the 8' wide would need to be 60' long; 10'w would need to be 48'L; 12'W would need to be 40'L; 14'W needs to be 34.29' L; 16'W needs to be 30'L.

Personally, with that many chickens that can't be free ranged at all; the run width/lengths above aren't big enough. Ask me how I know!!

How big of an area do you have to work with? Where do you live? What type of weather conditions? What type of predator load (assuming that's why you can't free range at all?)?

Smallest size for that number of chickens would be 12x16' (JUST for the coop @ 4'/chicken). if you go less wide due to yard/area constraints, will need to be longer (8'x24' ; 10x20; 14x14'). If your chickens are in the coop for more than 24 hours straight due to bad weather, that truly isn't big enough in most cases...

Personally, two ways would be easiest. 1 is a shed kit from one of the box stores.

Another way is to do something with CP hoops. If go with just the hoops directly on small/short foundation, you will only be 8' wide. If you go with pallets or some other solid type base & use the CP for higher walls and roof, then can go as wide as the 12', MAYBE 16'. CP is easy to work with, can be utilized in many different styles and can be taken down. It can be made predator proof.

Your run, for the minimum of 10'/chicken) - if you go with the 8' wide would need to be 60' long; 10'w would need to be 48'L; 12'W would need to be 40'L; 14'W needs to be 34.29' L; 16'W needs to be 30'L.

Personally, with that many chickens that can't be free ranged at all; the run width/lengths above aren't big enough. Ask me how I know!!
Hmm me thinking experience is talking lol

I did it myself. First thing I ever built by myself. I can send pictures of the build in progress. I have 7 hens in this coop. They do have access to the fenced in space that the coop is inside. Totally predator proof. I'm happy with the outcome!!

Back
Top Bottom