Chicken Coop under pine tree

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tracy1311, Apr 29, 2009.

1. tracy1311

tracy1311 New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Melbourne
    Hi Everyone

I am brand new at all this chicken raising.[​IMG] My hubby has finally said "yes" [​IMG] to raising chicken after 3 years. We have a large pine tree in our backyard and I was thinking a coop constructed around the base of the tree could be good use of space and provide the chickens with shade and protection. What do you think? I'm concerned the pine needles could be a problem? Do chickens eat pine needles?

Thanks for your help.
    Tracy [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I had mine under pine trees for over a year and never had a problem, They did like scratching around in the pine needles. I moved or they would still be under the pines [​IMG]

Nancy

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:I might put one UNDER a tree, but not AROUND the tree.

Trees are NOT permanant, and building over the roots could kill it.

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:i have a large pine in the middle of my run. the hard part is coming up with a way to fence the top without nailing into the tree or girdling the trunk. you should also stay back at least to the drip line with any alterations to the soil so you don't damage the feeder roots. don't build up any soil around the tree that will cover the roots more than an inch or so and be carefull of driving any posts into the larger roots.

5. jmetzger

jmetzger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Baltimore, OH
    I am new to this also. Just got my first 4 chicks. We have an old lamb pen under a pin. I am hoping to create a run for the chickens here. We get alot of pine needles too. Good to hear that it is ok. Wow, there are alot of different designs. Not sure where to start.

6. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    We have our coop & run under pine trees & have had no problems. My chicks have been outside for about 5wks (they are over 7wks) & they enjoy scratching around the needles. It also provides wonderful shade for them [​IMG]

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Just make sure that the tree doesn't lose limbs easily. We have tons of white pines here and it seems like every windstorm we have one or two fall down. I would hate for you to lose any of your chickens!

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We have our coop under pine trees as well. Make sure you cover your run. You don't want predators climbing up the tree and into you run. This includes snakes if you have them near you. Ours have been in the coop just over a year and so far so good.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We have ours under & between 2 large pine trees. We've only had the chickens there for 5 months now, but so far, so good - no problems and the shade is a great help. You can see pictures on my BYC page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by