Chicken Coop Worries

tyster19

In the Brooder
May 1, 2017
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I want to get chickens but i don't know how big or what type of chicken coop i should have and i want to get 20 chickens.But I'm going to home make my coop. so i want to hear what u guys think could be a good idea for me

Last edited:
The coop design is up to you if you want a shed design, or a traditional coop, or something crazy. For 20 chickens i would say about 25 square feet. So figure out a design, look up pics of coops and find one you like. Then design yours like that and adjust the size to what you need.

I have to disagree. Most people on here recommend 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop, you can squeeze them in a little more if you get clever with roost placement and such but a flock of 20 in 25 sq ft can cause behavior and health problems. Depending on the weather conditions you might need to go even roomier to compensate for the birds staying indoors.

For 20 birds you're looking at 80 sq ft of coop space. An 8x10 shed would do the trick, or browse on the Coops section of this site to get ideas if you want to build your own.

4 sq ft per bird is the bare minimum IMO, especially if your climate posssibly will keep them in the coop for days at a time. If they can free range most of the time and only use the coop for laying and sleeping, that size will do.

I have 6 chickens in a 72 sq ft coop, I'd only add maybe 3 or 4 chickens.

Welcome! If you will be building from scratch, look at the Woods coop designs; I'd love one myself. Otherwise, consider a garden shed, modified with lots of extra ventilation and south facing window openings, at least 10' x 10', with an large attached run. Too small with be a big problem, so build as large as possible. Mary

I have to disagree. Most people on here recommend 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop, you can squeeze them in a little more if you get clever with roost placement and such but a flock of 20 in 25 sq ft can cause behavior and health problems. Depending on the weather conditions you might need to go even roomier to compensate for the birds staying indoors.

For 20 birds you're looking at 80 sq ft of coop space. An 8x10 shed would do the trick, or browse on the Coops section of this site to get ideas if you want to build your own.

I agree with you. I have an 8x6 shed style coop for 10 chickens and I think it is small.

For clarification, are you all talking about a COOP alone, or a coop and enclosed run?. I am sensing conflicting opinions. Most times a flock likes a tighter cozier warmer coop.... the run is the strategic part in my opinion. Smaller coops with access to a large secure run anytime the birds wish..... my girls prefer roosting out in their secure covered run over the coop. Not because of space or lack of venting or anything.... they like being.... well.... chickens, and naturally they will try to be outside. Even in the depth of winter. My 2 cents...

Take a look at the 'woods open AIR Coop" it is a coop and run in one building . the 10 by 16 should work fine for your 20 chickens. take a look at it. you can surf "Woods coop" here on byc. there are several threads.
Dr. Woods wrote a wonderful book Which is available for free to read online at Hathitrust Digital Library. Just go there and search for: Woods fresh air poultry : .you want the 1924 Edition.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
For clarification, are you all talking about a COOP alone, or a coop and enclosed run?. I am sensing conflicting opinions. Most times a flock likes a tighter cozier warmer coop.... the run is the strategic part in my opinion. Smaller coops with access to a large secure run anytime the birds wish..... my girls prefer roosting out in their secure covered run over the coop. Not because of space or lack of venting or anything.... they like being.... well.... chickens, and naturally they will try to be outside. Even in the depth of winter. My 2 cents...

I have a 12 x 2o foot run attached to my 8x6 shed coop. My girls always wrestle over positions on the roosting pole. My run does not have wire fabric like the coop does so they are locked in at night.

Back
Top Bottom