Chicken Coop

Marshmallow1234

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Canada
So we just got a chicken coop for 3 chickens I was wondering what should I provide in the coop? Like what type of bedding, any ventilation, any heaters and do I put the water and the food inside their coop? It’s like a small house with a roof made of wood. And how do I keep it clean and warm during the winter? Because I want there to be fresh hair but do I drill holes inside the coop so fresh air can go in butt then it’s going to be too cold

Can you show us a picture of your coop? They will require ventilation for the winter... you wont have to heat it. Seeing a picture will sure help.
Is this good ventilation?

Attachments

• AC32BA75-08E4-497E-9D13-EB60A99E1B2D.jpeg
    AC32BA75-08E4-497E-9D13-EB60A99E1B2D.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 46BA68A0-F124-4B7E-A99D-97CD04A3E50B.jpeg
    46BA68A0-F124-4B7E-A99D-97CD04A3E50B.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 21
Doesnt look to be enough. You need at least one ft per bird. I would find an area close to the roof, away from the roost, cut out a long rectangle a couple inches tall a ft or 2 long and cover it with hardware cloth. Do it so it doesnt create a draft on the birds. Do that on a couple sides. That should be enough for 3 birds.
Throw some pine shavings on the floor, or even wheat straw.... and your good to go. The holes are ok.... just need more.

Remember your birds are born with a down coat. All you need to do is keep them dry and out of drafts. Adequate ventilation lets the moisture evaporate and keeps them dry. You don't need to heat. Unless you anticipate them being in the coop for long periods of time, think all day, you won't need to add food and water inside the coop.

Doesnt look to be enough. You need at least one ft per bird. I would find an area close to the roof, away from the roost, cut out a long rectangle a couple inches tall a ft or 2 long and cover it with hardware cloth. Do it so it doesnt create a draft on the birds. Do that on a couple sides. That should be enough for 3 birds.
Throw some pine shavings on the floor, or even wheat straw.... and your good to go. The holes are ok.... just need more.
Thanks! What is a draft and do I put the cloth on the hole?

A draft is when wind is blowing on them directly. Chickens can handle cold, but a breeze blowing on them is not good. That's why ventilation works best above their heads. Any moisture or ammonia inside the coop must be vented out with no air blowing directly on them. The holes are fine if they are an inch wide or smaller... if they're bigger, then cover with hardware cloth

Back
Top Bottom