Chicken Coops on Amazon

Buckaroohens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Chester County, PA
Hi All.

Looking to start having backyard chickens in our family this spring. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the coops you can purchase online through Amazon. The good, the bad, the ugly. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Here is my 2 cents, The coops you see online, the easily assembled and cutesy ones... they are built of cheap material, The ones I have seen in person, I could trip and put my weight on it, and it collapse. also you would have to spend more to reinforce it to make it pred. proof...not to mention the ones that say are good for 4 chickens, are not nearly big enough.

I would either build one, or have someone build one for you... you can check your local CL listing for some handmade coops, some are a tad overpriced, but they are built better and you could special request some tweaking...

Also, think big, if you just want to get a few for laying purposes, double it when looking for a coop, because Chickens are addicting. so you WILL want more, and the more you are on here, the more you want... LOL

Welcome to BYC and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Don't buy one online. I have seen them at TSC and Orschelns. They are cheap china made coops. For a few $$$ more you can get the material and plans and build a sturdy,real and predator proof small coop with attached run.

If you put one inside a large secure run, they work for a few chickens ( you will need to weatherproof them before use, even though they "look" like they have a finish on them). Forget about the pull out trays many have as a floor, after a few weeks in the weather they either warp and don't "pull out, or they won't support the weight of the chicken and fall out. For actual safe use they require extensive weather and predator proofing. I have had much better luck going to craigslist and either buying a shed or hiring someone to make you one.. For example here :http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/4248717497.html
is a shed advertised in Pa. that could reasonable and easily converted to a coop with storage, depending on the # of birds you intend to keep. You can find shed movers on craigslist as well. I did notice ( I think I was looking in the Pittsburgh area) that in this area the sheds are generally a lot more expensive than in my area. I don't know if they are dreaming, confused, or the market is that much better. In the end, its up to you. For a temporary shelter for a couple of hens, online coops, while not a good deal, will work as long as you make the necessary improvements. Don't buy one that uses poultry wire, by the time you replace it with something that works, you've rebuilt it and its not worth it. Keep in mind, if you have snow and generally bad weather, there may be extended times when your chickens will not be let outside, so your coop will need to have at least double the square footage recommended to avoid aggression problems and make keeping it clean easier.

Here is my 2 cents, The coops you see online, the easily assembled and cutesy ones... they are built of cheap material, The ones I have seen in person, I could trip and put my weight on it, and it collapse. also you would have to spend more to reinforce it to make it pred. proof...not to mention the ones that say are good for 4 chickens, are not nearly big enough.

I would either build one, or have someone build one for you... you can check your local CL listing for some handmade coops, some are a tad overpriced, but they are built better and you could special request some tweaking...

Also, think big, if you just want to get a few for laying purposes, double it when looking for a coop, because Chickens are addicting. so you WILL want more, and the more you are on here, the more you want... LOL

Welcome to BYC and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Don't buy one online. I have seen them at TSC and Orschelns. They are cheap china made coops. For a few $$$ more you can get the material and plans and build a sturdy,real and predator proof small coop with attached run.

I couldn't agree more with both of these posts. I started with chickens (3 of them) this past March. Purchased a $200 coop from TSC, got home and did some research while they were growing in the brooder box (i.e. huge lawnmower box) in our basement. Found out that the cute TSC coop was not only over priced but was only large enough to hold about 2 full size chickens (not very comfortably either). I returned the TSC coop and had a buddy help me build the 4'x4'x4' one that I now have. I couldn't be happier............ Oh yes it didn't take long for as to add 2 more chicks over the following weeks.

Build your own!!!!!!!! You can find ideas and designs all over this website and the internet. Remember you need lots of ventilation and ample room for the adult chickens to live. My 4'x4' seems fine for my 5 girls (one is a bantam though).

You can check out the build on my coop at this link including my homemade blue prints.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...w-large-should-the-entry-exit-be-the-nest-box

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom