Chicken coops/runs for the beginner.

Mehpenn

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Gastonia, NC
Alright... lay it on me.
What is acceptable as a chicken coop? How large of an area would two-three hens needs?

My grandpa used dog boxes remodeled to resemble a row style barn with stalls. He kept them elevated about two feet off the ground with ramps leading into each stall. Each stall was about two feet square, with a half wall seperating each and a hinged back to make it easily accesible to retrieve eggs without having to go into the pen. The opening of each stall was about a foot, large enough for the hens to fit through.
Would that be sufficient?

We're only planning on two to three hens, would a 6 x 10 area be enough for them? It'll be in a wooded/shaded area with little grass, lots of shade, next to our barn... I think.

For best living conditions for a large breed chicken I go with 4-5 sq feet of coop space ( not including the nest boxes) and you should have 10 sq feet of run space per bird. A very good suggestion is to build your coop as large as you can. I will guarantee you will get addicted and add to your flock. So plan for the future not just today.

My grandpa had very small game hens, so the two feet area would have been lots of room for them.... I 'm not sure what kind of hens we'll be getting...... guess the size of the coop will depend on how large the hens will be.

yippiechickie.gif

Plan for more. If they have more room, you'll have to clean less during the bad weather when it's harder, but, I doubt you can stop at only 2, they seem to multiply.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I started with wanting 8, ordered 20, got 27, thinned to 17, got 7 comming in a few days, getting ....more.....soon......can't......stop......the......madness......... "Hunny! Time to build more coop!"
My Hunny---
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom