Chicken Crafts! (Show Off Your Craftiness)

So I've found a new obsession, and it's called lampworking (the technique of making glass beads with a rod of colored glass and fire) So what do I end up making? Chickens!

A cute little pullet

A roosting Brahma hen

And a "buffalo chicken" ;)

Last edited:
So I've found a new obsession, and it's called lampworking (the technique of making glass beads with a rod of colored glass and fire) So what do I end up making? Chickens!

A cute little pullet

A roosting Brahma hen

And a "buffalo chicken"
wink.png

Those are wonderful! I especially like the first one, that little pullet just makes me smile
big_smile.png

Thanks! She's my favorite too, and the coloring on her is a lot more subtle/varied than it looks in the photo.

I watercolor cardstock, then emboss it for the cover backgrounds. I like to do paper quilling and then add other misc. embellishments - like Ribbon & Chicken feathers of course! I'm not always as creative with the insides, but this particular card was all about the folding & math.
img_4888-jpg.1162590

img_4885-copy-jpg.1162589

A fun penguin valentine for my son. ("You're so COOL." written inside)
IMG_8095.JPG

Can you find the Appenzeller Spitzhauben feathers?
IMG_3410.JPG

My DD & I dyed some feathers & use them for crafts. She makes feathered hairpieces.
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2463.JPG

She made some beautiful ones were made for her big dance recital.
IMG_9767.JPG
IMG_0084 copy.jpg

Thank you @N F C The cards started because we don't have $ for cards & DH's family is pretty big into Hallmark. By making the cards, we can skip the high cost and make some something fancy for under 25 cents.

Chicken feathers are free! We always collect during molting, so it was time to put them to use. DD worked hard on her feather art. (Most of the time was spent on washing & dying the feathers.)

Thank you @N F C The cards started because we don't have $ for cards & DH's family is pretty big into Hallmark. By making the cards, we can skip the high cost and make some something fancy for under 25 cents.

Chicken feathers are free! We always collect during molting, so it was time to put them to use. DD worked hard on her feather art. (Most of the time was spent on washing & dying the feathers.)

I hear you on the high cost of store cards...I told a family member not long ago, she could have a card or she could have a gift, lol.

What does you use to dye the feathers? Is it just food dye?

I hear you on the high cost of store cards...I told a family member not long ago, she could have a card or she could have a gift, lol.

What does you use to dye the feathers? Is it just food dye?
Yes.
1. Wash with dish soap & rinse feathers
2. Boiling water + food color + Tbsp of vinegar, then add feathers. They soak up the dye. More dye & longer soak for more color. Less dye for pastels.
3. Remove feathers with tongs, put into cold water rinse, then pat dry & let air dry on paper towel.

Try experimenting with barred & diff colored feathers. My lav orps made interesting shades - ie white feather = pink, but lav orps = mauve.

Back
Top Bottom