Chicken Crazy Lady

LittleDragons

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
North America
(Sorry if this is a little rough, I'm not the best when it comes to introductions)

Hello Everyone,
I'm so eggcited (see what I did there?:p) to be here! After scanning through this amazing site for a couple of days I finally decided to join. My history with chickens isn't the greatest. I aquired my first ones from a little local feed store. I was delighted with them and couldn't get over the wonder of their lizard (or dragon) like legs (Isn't God creative?). Unfortunately, at that time I was not cut out for chicken keeping. I had done plenty of research but not on one of the most important things "What Animals Can Kill Chickens And How Do I Stop Them?" So within a few weeks I had lost nearly everyone. I have no one to blame but myself. My remaining two lived for a year and a half before they were taken by a canine predator. It came totally unexpected since I thought the coop was prepared for any attack. That time was difficult but God helped me through it. In the years that followed I was afraid to get more chickens so I hung out with my friend's flock instead and learned all I could. I believe I am now at least barley worthy to keep more of thease beautiful animals. This spring I'm planning on getting 7 - 9 chicks and I would LOVE any breed suggestions. Something perhaps exotic but useful?
- Tanya
(Not my real name but I like it so I'm gonna use it:p, I'm not entirely comfortable with sharing my real one)

Hi!! Welcome to BYC! :frow I'm sorry your first time owning chickens was so hard. :hugs If you have any questions there are lots of people here who love to help. :) What is the climate where you live? Some breeds do better in cold weather than others :)

Thank you!:jumpy It gets pretty cold in winter over here. Plenty of -° days! :barnie

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry about your first flock. :hugs Stuff happens. However you have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of good reading on all the aspects of keeping poultry here.

And feel free to browse around here, if you have any questions along the way, be sure and ask.

Welcome to our community! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry about your first flock. :hugs Stuff happens. However you have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of good reading on all the aspects of keeping poultry here.

And feel free to browse around here, if you have any questions along the way, be sure and ask.

Welcome to our community! :)

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to stop by the Learning Center!

:welcome

Hi Tanya, it's nice to have you here with us! Since you get a lot of -0* weather, look for breeds that have smaller combs as large combs have a higher risk of frostbite. You'll find lots of options when it comes to selecting breeds (and everyone has their favorites).

Get your coop built before you get any chicks and that alone will get you off to a good start.

Thanks for joining us!

:welcome

Hi Tanya, it's nice to have you here with us! Since you get a lot of -0* weather, look for breeds that have smaller combs as large combs have a higher risk of frostbite. You'll find lots of options when it comes to selecting breeds (and everyone has their favorites).

Get your coop built before you get any chicks and that alone will get you off to a good start.

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks! BTW I nearly DIED of cuteness. Your cat avy is so adorable !!!!!!!! :love:love:love

Back
Top Bottom