Found rat poop in chicken feed - how long do we need to refrain from eating eggs?

thewhimsicalflock

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
I have a flock of 22 chickens, eight ducks, and three guinea fowl. They all eat from a large rain barrel converted into a feeder.

I opened the top and it was full of rat poop. I can only assume they've consumed some. I know what to do to prevent this from happening again (will move feeder into coop) but what about the flock? I hrew out all of our eggs, at least forty of them. How long do we need to wait before they're safe to consume again?

I have a flock of 22 chickens, eight ducks, and three guinea fowl. They all eat from a large rain barrel converted into a feeder.

I opened the top and it was full of rat poop. I can only assume they've consumed some. I know what to do to prevent this from happening again (will move feeder into coop) but what about the flock? I hrew out all of our eggs, at least forty of them. How long do we need to wait before they're safe to consume again?
I dont know of any withdrawal period regarding chickens eating rat poop or rat feces/urine contaminated chicken feed.
I would thoroughly decontaminate the feeder.
You're dealing with a serious situation and it would be best to consult with a doctor or vet. Here's a link for you to read:
https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/rats-in-the-coop-heres-what-you-need-to-do/

Back
Top Bottom