Chicken Crazy!

scrapingran

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Strasburg, Colorado
I am the proud chicken mom of 5 Orpingtons, 10 Ameracaunas, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 4 California Whites and 2 Barred Rocks. I thought at first that I had all girls, but I know for sure now that one of them is a rooster. I am also the proud mom of 4 Pekin ducks, 2 Ruen Ducks and a turkey. They have certainly been a bunch of fun! I am looking forward to getting to know some of you and sharing information and critter stories!

Hello and :welcome

Sounds like an interesting flock! Are you going to keep the roo?
I know there are a lot of duck and turkey folk on BYC too, it's a bit of a hangout for all poultry really :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

woot.gif

Welcome to BYC!!!!

I been in the chicken business for 9 weeks . I have 4 production reds, 1 r i red, and 2 barred rocks. These crazy ladies have done everything in their power to drive me nuts From day one they have continually pooped in their water by roosting on top of the mason jar
They invented a game called Lets shred the paper on the floor of the cage and run with paper in our beaks and chase each other which resulted in knocking over the feed jar. Another past time was to jump from the roost pole to the end of cage [ a distance of 4 feet] and let out loud squawk.
But the most fun these girls have had is when they moved into their new coop. Little did I know that chickens loved foam insulation board . We had foam board on the ceiling and walls thinking this would keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The first day they saw and with smiles on their faces they begin to eat it like popcorn. I hurriedly covered one end with a left over piece of vinyl floor and around the door nailed up plywood hoping to solve the problem . Somehow they managed to push the vinyl up and eat a strip about 3" high and 4 ft long.They worked through the night to finish the job. After that I removed the foam board from the walls but left the ceiling in tack. Now they have learned to get on the top roost and eat foam around the edge of the ceiling good thing they can't stretch too far. I never dreamed chickens could be so wild and crazy. But when they see me,they come a running and I always forgive my babies.

Back
Top Bottom