Chicken cut/rubbed terribly! PLEASE HELP!

On the space topic, I will look at our floor plans again but the coop is very spacious with lots of roosting and an outdoor run. We are expanding the run and just opened up the second half of the coop where Gloria gets to have the whole place to herself! On the topic of Gloria, her injury is greatly reduced in size and new tissue is growing. She is super happy and active! Yay for Gloria!

Go Gloria! You've done a great job! Now that the coop is bigger, lack of space that may have played a roll before, is not an issue now. The average layer feed has 16% protein and 4% calcium. Those are the minimum recommended allowances. Molting birds, non layers and roosters need more protein, less calcium. That is why snacks should be limited to 10% of daily ration or the protein and calcium levels drop too much. For you, with no roos, layer+calcium -tons of snacks or,+high protein snacks is ok.
How are the dogs? No new trouble I hope?
Anyway, the big egg, did you break it open yet or weigh it? I have a six yr old EE that has fatty liver but still lays eggs sometimes. I am watching her for EB or broken right now. She seems broody but that is not the way of an EE. With the fatty liver tissue, it is difficult to feel for an egg. I suppose she is getting a vent check tomorrow unless there is a present in the nest box. (I totally expect her to just drop dead any time) She is still chickeny but goes to roost early, as does my six yr old bantam who has not laid since last fall. Her [the EE] eggs are quite large, like I know when they are hers and not the other 3, and they are frequently body checked. Did you ever notice anything like that about her eggs? I also have an 11 month old RIR that lays elongated eggs always, w/o double yolks, expecting problems with her later on...One of the 11 month EE's had IL, walked like a penguin, but reabsorbed and is laying again, gotta watch her too.
I guess the point is custom feeding. When the EE got fatty liver, I stopped cracked corn and switched to scratch. Since she and the bantam only lay when they feel like it and I have 3 roos, I changed to an all flock, and doubled the amount of oyster shell available. The Goldie Locks formula- the non layers get less, the layers get more, and for the roos, it's just right. Plus, cutting out 2/3rds of the corn should help keep everyone safe from fatty liver.
smile.png
Sorry for rambling...off to bed....

No problem (the rambling :p!) we feed them sunflower seeds and fresh picked grass for treats, and sometimes oats or fruits/berries as avalible (table scraps) we also give them fresh greens.
All good to know, with your hens, Gloria has definitely gained some weight from being 'pampered' although not enough to be concerned, we did not break open the big egg yet but I can weigh it if I find a scale... The rest of our hens are doing well, although our remaining SLW is very picked on :( she was always low on the pecking order D:

I'm glad things are going better. A little weird that an SLW would be low in the order....they're usually pretty sassy and don't like to be "messed" with. What other types have you, besides her and Gloria?

ETA: I just thought about the SLW, I know you had another but, if the one is the only "silver" bird, she may get picked on bc she looks so different from the gold and red shaded birds. Just a thought.

Last edited:
That was my thinking, but my SLW always were very low and were always very timid birds? My GLW however are right up there, the PPR and BO being at the very top. I will give you what I have in the coop from top to bottom of the list how I think the pecking goes from breed to breed.
Buff Orpingtons
Gold laced Wyandottes
Partridge Plymouth rocks
Silver laced Wyandottes
New Hampshire red (no longer :( )

That was my thinking, but my SLW always were very low and were always very timid birds? My GLW however are right up there, the PPR and BO being at the very top. I will give you what I have in the coop from top to bottom of the list how I think the pecking goes from breed to breed.
Buff Orpingtons
Gold laced Wyandottes
Partridge Plymouth rocks
Silver laced Wyandottes
New Hampshire red (no longer
sad.png
)

Wow! Buffs at the top! That is something! The only birds below my Buffs are Amberlinks. I have RIR's and EE's, with the RIRs on top. Three roosters above that, One Amberlink and 2 RIR's. The Amber roo was king but now one of the RIR's has beaten him back to #2, the other RIR roo is crippled but is good buddies with the Amber.

Sounds like you have got a large flock! Lots of people say Buffs are constatntly pecked on, but ours are big bullies! However they are also the only ones with a flock of four birds.

Sounds like you have got a large flock! Lots of people say Buffs are constatntly pecked on, but ours are big bullies! However they are also the only ones with a flock of four birds.

Yah, I have 4 buff hens (picked on) 2 amber hens (picked on) 3 EE's plus 1 old EE, (picking goes both ways) and 3 RIR hens (bullies) 1 Millie Fleur/Sebright bantam, no one bothers her, 2 RIR roos and 1 Amber roo. I need more hens! Plus, 10 new bantams and a gifted,sick LF GLW in hospital. We won't mention my 2 cats and 2 puppies on the way!
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! We have all hens, 2 GLW 1SLW (as of the hemohorrage) 3 PPR, 4 BO, and used to have 1 NHR

Back
Top Bottom