Chicken death

kgnash

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2019
New Jersey
This morning, our otherwise healthy chicken was found dead inside the coop. I recently purchased a large 10 chicken coop and had been transitioning my three chickens into that coop. I would take them at night and move them into the coop, however last night I kept them inside the new run so That they would go up in the coop themselves. When I checked on them in the evening all three were inside the coop sleeping.

I am wondering if the change to the new coop caused her to die.

Anyone have any input on this?

I wouldn't think so. Did you check her vent etc? Was it cold? How secure was the run? It can be easy to miss an injury under all those feathers. If they been in the coop before it shouldn't have caused them that much stress.

Was she egg bound? Showing any other symptoms recently? Standing alone, sitting weirdly closing her eyes? I recently lost a Blue-Red laced Wyandotte because she was laying eggs internally. She basically showed all the signs of being egg bound but no eggs in the vent. All inside her. I put her to bed one night, let her out in the morning and 3 hours later I went out and she was dead. Very sad. I have read it is more common in young, new layers.

Was she egg bound? Showing any other symptoms recently? Standing alone, sitting weirdly closing her eyes? I recently lost a Blue-Red laced Wyandotte because she was laying eggs internally. She basically showed all the signs of being egg bound but no eggs in the vent. All inside her. I put her to bed one night, let her out in the morning and 3 hours later I went out and she was dead. Very sad. I have read it is more common in young, new layers.
Thank you for the response. I am sorry to hear about your chicken. I didn't check her to see if she was egg bound. I buried her so I will never know.

I wouldn't think so. Did you check her vent etc? Was it cold? How secure was the run? It can be easy to miss an injury under all those feathers. If they been in the coop before it shouldn't have caused them that much stress.
Thanks for the response. Not cold and secure coop. I buried her and did not check her vent.

Back
Top Bottom