Chicken Detectives Needed ✔

theshelbz

Chirping
Sep 13, 2023
1. Where did you get the birds?
Craigslist seller, a woman who had a variety of chicken breeds on her property.

2. If they came from a breeder, what were they supposed to be, and what other breeds/varieties did the seller have?
She said they were "satin silkies." I wasn't too convinced because they don't have black skin or blue ears. She said there was a 90% chance they were females, so I just decided to get them anyways. Some other breeds that she had available were: Polish, Silkies, Serama, Appenzeller Spitzenhauben mix, BYM, Frizzle & Satin.

My main question would be, what breed (or breeds) do you think the chicks are in the foreground of this photo? (Not the white silkie in the back, I incubated him myself)

Attachments

• Chicks.jpeg
    Chicks.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 40
I’m not terribly good yet with all the genetics, but based on the list…I’d guess maybe a Silkie/Serama cross? Or the BYM. People will use the Satin designation anytime they mix a Silkie with a smooth feathered chicken…instead of calling them what they are—BYMs. I have a few of these BYMs and true Satins and they’re definitely not the same thing. The tail angle of the birds is the only reason I’m guessing Serama mix. Others might have better guesses! They’re pretty though and definitely girls :)

I’m not terribly good yet with all the genetics, but based on the list…I’d guess maybe a Silkie/Serama cross? Or the BYM. People will use the Satin designation anytime they mix a Silkie with a smooth feathered chicken…instead of calling them what they are—BYMs. I have a few of these BYMs and true Satins and they’re definitely not the same thing. The tail angle of the birds is the only reason I’m guessing Serama mix. Others might have better guesses! They’re pretty though and definitely girls :)
Ah! You don't know how relieved I am to have confirmation that they're both girls.

Very pretty pullets 🙂 I have few that look a lot like that. They’re Silkie Sebright mixes though (the parents are a white Silkie roo and Golden Sebright hen). Some of them have 5 toes, some of them have 4, but they have the dark skin and blue lobes. The color patterns are also very similar to mine as well. My reply’s not really any help for you, but Silkie Sebright mix COULD be a possibility, if the seller’s raising Sebrights too.

Thank you for your response! It’s so nice to see users so willing to help. Some hobbies can be sort of if gatekeep-ey.

Back
Top Bottom