Chicken diapers - He's mostly given up..

I found that in my flock, the two chickens that were the friendliest with me, and therefore (I thought) most suitable to be house birds tolerated the diapers the least well. They were also the lowest two chickens in the pecking order; it seemed that they went into a prey species emotional response to capture, and just gave up. When I tried them on the two top hens in the flock, they adapted much more quickly to the diapers, after an initial annoyance, they moved around fairly well.

I hope that adaptations to the diapers you're using will eventually help your little roo cope better. I hope that it's not just a personality thing. It may just take a lot more time for him to adapt because of his own particular personality. Best of luck to you.

I found that in my flock, the two chickens that were the friendliest with me, and therefore (I thought) most suitable to be house birds tolerated the diapers the least well. They were also the lowest two chickens in the pecking order; it seemed that they went into a prey species emotional response to capture, and just gave up. When I tried them on the two top hens in the flock, they adapted much more quickly to the diapers, after an initial annoyance, they moved around fairly well.

I hope that adaptations to the diapers you're using will eventually help your little roo cope better. I hope that it's not just a personality thing. It may just take a lot more time for him to adapt because of his own particular personality. Best of luck to you.

well that makes some sense, our Roo was midway in the pecking order half the girls schooled him when he strutted into the coop.
Thanks for the input.

well give him brakes once and a while and continue to try and get him used to the diaper. and see if we need ay more adjustments along the way.

And let you all know how we keep doing.

Well, I will be curious to follow this thread and see how it all comes out (potty humor lol)
Hopefully you will continue to post your progress for those who are interested.

Well, I will be curious to follow this thread and see how it all comes out (potty humor lol)
Hopefully you will continue to post your progress for those who are interested.

That I well try to do.
To the best of my ability's.
:3 thank you all for the helpful questions and suggestions, feel free to drop a few more I'm sure we may still need them.

Day 2 -chicken diaper.

So far he seems to be doing okay with it though still walked around funny when we put it on this morning. And then put it on again after I'd taken it off again.

So I guess he still has some adjusting to do but other wise seems to work. After his anital annoyance he walks normally again. (about an hour?) But still seems kinda of ruffled.

(I'll post this on the front post so it well be easier to find.

well so far the adjustments seems to have worked, so far.
He's got his balance and can fly up a short ways.

But he's still pecking at it, seems a little akwerd and pecks and pulls at the pouch at the back.
Is this normal to?
It's normal, my Silkie would peck at her chicken vest a lot but after awhile she got used to it and stopped. :)

It's normal, my Silkie would peck at her chicken vest a lot but after awhile she got used to it and stopped. :)

Good to know :3

So far the diaper catches all the poo (When on right) But now I'm just have a problem with some of the stuff sticking to some of her vent feather.

Is there anyways to combat that? or well we just have to clean it off?

Day three - chicken diaper.

Its still working. But every time we put it on he goes into another 'pout' and simply sits there for a while or starts walking backwards.
Other then that everything seems okay.

well the chicken diaper works.
day for he got used to it much faster, but pulled at the Diaper a lot to.
I think we've finished our experiment. So if we can tonight he'll be going back to the farm where he'll probably be happier (and wont be crowing in the morning during my weekend!)

Personally I can't wait to get some land.

I have an indorr chicken and I had a similar problem with her either refusing to move or flipping out. Some things that might help: loosen it as much as you can. Put it on him everyday at a low stress time and even give him a special treat right when you put it on him. Make sure the straps that go around his wings in the front (near his neck) are not right on the joint/ armpit of his wing but more on his shoulder/ nearer to his neck. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom