CHICKEN DIAPERS: instructions, how to, advice!

^^^^^ chookie nappies! I bought them pre made but they are easy to make if you are handy with a sewing machine - which I am not. You use a freezer bag as a liner in the pouch and some absorbent kitchen towel or sanitary pads or whatever on top and secure with safety pins to prevent leakage, and voila! I change them every 3 hours or so. They wear them to visit the vet, travel in the car or come inside. They have matching harnesses and leads too
love.gif

So I finally managed to make my rooster a nappy, up until a couple or months ago his potty traning was holding up pretty good, his reaction was worse than expected! He walked backwards, flapped around and prompty fell off the bed. It was funnier than it should have been. He calmed down but he spent an insane amount of time pulling on the bag, sometimes reuslting in him walking in a circle like a dog chasing its tail, after such an event the pouch ended up sliding down and he pooped over it. Ugg! I also discovered that the pouch was too small and his feathers were getting wet, since the first nappy was an experiment and I was sure he was going to destroy it I used scrap apolstry.

So I made a second one with a deeper pouch, the first one was like Chickenmoms on youtube where it secured over his back, the second one looks more like overalls. The overalls work better but I'm still getting the wet feather problem, and where his feathers get wet he's getting... I can't belive I'm saying this Chicken diaper rash. I shouldn't be surprised, we live in a warm wet climate I should havce expected this problem. So whats a girl suppose to do? Well my frined had some diaper rash ointment so I gave it a shot and what do you know it works just as well on chickens! I put a little on the places where he gets irritated before I put the nappy on in the morning and bam! No problems. He still pulls at the bag but now only when it needs changing.

does anyone have a chicken diaper pattern they would share? My son's school wants me to bring in a chicken to show off for their science unit and i want to have the bird diapered up so she doesn't make a mess all over

So I have 2 silkies as my house pets and I have had diapers made for each of them... we tried them on and wasnt pretty. They both started freaking out and bucking like a bull. Any suggestions on how to acclimate them to the diapers? They are about 4 months old.

Bumping this. I just put a diaper on my little Asa and for the past 2 hours she has been pulling at it. How long did it take for your chickens to get used to it?

It takes a few days for most of mine. I leave it on for 20 min or so then give them a break while training them. If your bird can fly I find it useful to give them a gentle toss and then they fly with the diaper on. Once they realize they can fly fine with it they usually go one with their day and have no issues! Also you may have to try a few styles. It took me four revisions to make the perfect diaper for my Silver Sebright roo and one two tries for my Sikie hen.

My Silkie hen took to them faster than my Sebright roo. Of course she can't fly so My flight trick doesn't work for her. Does wonders for my Sebright though!

Back
Top Bottom