1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken diapers made out of baggies and elastics?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenpiedpiper, Nov 22, 2010.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    A year or so ago, I saw a post on here about a lady who simply used sandwich baggies and an elastic to make inexpensive chicken diapers that her birds hardly noticed.

I have a house chicken who hates her lovely professionally made diaper, and tumbles all around the floor trying to get it off, truely amusing and pathetic all at once! I would like to find alternatives that feel less constrictive to her delicate sense of self, but I can not find that simple post and idea!!

Does anyone remember it? or who posted it, so we could all look again?

Thanks!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have not heard of baggie diapers nor do I recall the thread, but will give you a bump in the hopes that someone might see this who can help.

3. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:All chickens do that to a degree. Especially if they are molting and have pin feathers. This is the time of year for it. If that is that case, wait a couple of weeks. If not, just keep the diaper on her and she will get used to it. There is no reason for that kind of behavior to continue unless the bird is physically uncomfortable with something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by