Chicken Diapers!!

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
I often have chickens that want to explore the house every now and then. Usually, once they have their fill of that adventure they don't ask to come in again. Anyhow, since chickens do one thing VERY well, something to keep their droppings off the carpets and rugs is kinda important. A simple and effective solution is to use a ziploc sandwich bag and 6" or so garbage bag or garden tie (like the old bread wrapper ties). The ziploc is important because it helps hold the bag open. Just poke the tie through the top by one of the folds, place the bag over the vent while lifting the wings slightly to place the tie underneath. Poke it through a hole along the opposite seam, pull it tight enough to hold, twist and wha-la! A disposable chicken diaper.
D.gif

Here's a few pictures of Foggy sporting her diaper. Please don't laugh at her bald head, since my favorelle has been mating the girls have become a bunch of skinheads. It's not pretty, but otherwise they aren't any worse for wear and I guess its better than bandannas around the legs to denote their gang affiliation.
By the way, I have chickens that love to come in and clean up after my dogs. They are especially fond of the rice and vegetables that I mix in with their kibbles.
IMGP7449.jpg

IMGP7451.jpg

Last edited:
It only seems to bother them when I have to hold them down and put it on them, once on they don't seem to notice it at all. It's amazing how the dogs grumble at each other for eating out of their bowls but will clear the way and sit back and watch when a chicken comes to feed
idunno.gif

Man, given past interest in chicken diapers I figured this post would get more hits than this. Oh well, goes to show what I know
hu.gif

Sometimes it just seems we're invisable. i thought the posts would be all over this. How easy and easy clean up to boot! Youu just never know. But, don't take it personal. Sometimes these posts get buried so fast cuz of all the people posting.

Aww, don't feel bad! I read practically everything on this site.
roll.png

When I lived at home we occasionally needed to have a hen inside, and always had to confine them to the bathroom. I don't really understand how the tie fits over their tail, but I suppose I'd work it out. I'd be more inclined to use this method, rather than the expensive custom made route.

Last edited:
As long as they are just walking around it stays on without much of an issue. However if one of my dogs spooks them and they go wild flying around it may fall off, but i just slip it back over their tail and tuck it under the tips of their wings. Mostly they just walk around exploring things anyhow. It doesn't work well with the chicks unless their wings are well developed, then just cinch up on the twist tie so it fits closer to the body....if they are short little things I have used a regular (non-zip) baggie b/c otherwise it drags the ground and falls off.

Back
Top Bottom