Chicken diapers?

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Any advice on where and what kind of chicken diaper to purchase ? Umm , my pullet is very clingy and keeps pooping everywhere in my screen porch and tries to sneak in when the dogs come. I Honestly can’t take the poop anymore.. and I can’t block the area she comes up because a predator can get her. She is walking two flights of stairs, bright colors are a no go for us.

She’s small, the size of a game breed chicken.

Attachments

• 89537F02-7D5B-4E2A-95AB-BBE3D42B9F07.jpeg
    89537F02-7D5B-4E2A-95AB-BBE3D42B9F07.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I use masks. The strings that are supposed to go around your ears, go around the wings. The diaper may not stop everything should she be wearing it for awhile, but it does help. ;)
Thank you, I will try it. It wasn’t fun stepping in it! And she likes to do it right in front of the door and of course she steps in it while jumping at the door. It is gross. Something is not right with this bird 😂

Thank you, I will try it. It wasn’t fun stepping in it! And she likes to do it right in front of the door and of course she steps in it while jumping at the door. It is gross. Something is not right with this bird 😂
I used to have a hen that was always on my porch by the door all the time. She'd never leave, and we didn't know why. Turns out, she had made friends with our Cornish Xes that had just left for slaughter, and was sad and missing them. The poor girl. :(

Now I have this new hen, Beth, who is a rescue, and she's obsessed with me. She'll follow me everywhere. If she's on one side of the fence, and I'm on the other, she'll pace back and forth trying to get to me. If I sit anywhere in the chickens yard, she'll be there. She'll even play with my hair! She loves me more than any other bird that I've had. If I didn't have a dog that could be a threat to chickens, she'd probably be living in my house! :lol:

I used to have a hen that was always on my porch by the door all the time. She'd never leave, and we didn't know why. Turns out, she had made friends with our Cornish Xes that had just left for slaughter, and was sad and missing them. The poor girl. :(

Now I have this new hen, Beth, who is a rescue, and she's obsessed with me. She'll follow me everywhere. If she's on one side of the fence, and I'm on the other, she'll pace back and forth trying to get to me. If I sit anywhere in the chickens yard, she'll be there. She'll even play with my hair! She loves me more than any other bird that I've had. If I didn't have a dog that could be a threat to chickens, she'd probably be living in my house! :lol:
Beth sounds like a real sweet heart! That’s what we seem to have is an obsessed people pullet. My porch is 2 stories , but we have stairs so the dogs can go out. I know she hides in the bushes and waits for me to pop out and paces the gate. She screamed one morning when I had to leave. if I go down stairs she actually comes. And if I go up she comes. I have to put her into the coop, because she freaks out.. the rooster has been very nice to her. But she was in another flock and severely injured. Maybe it rewired her?

Beth sounds like a real sweet heart! That’s what we seem to have is an obsessed people pullet. My porch is 2 stories , but we have stairs so the dogs can go out. I know she hides in the bushes and waits for me to pop out and paces the gate. She screamed one morning when I had to leave. if I go down stairs she actually comes. And if I go up she comes. I have to put her into the coop, because she freaks out.. the rooster has been very nice to her. But she was in another flock and severely injured. Maybe it rewired her?
It might of. I had a hen who survived a dog attack, and studied her. She was usually a grouchy hen, but after surviving the dog attack, she was a very happy hen. One day, I had her outside and was bringing her with me to fill her waterer because that's what I sometimes do with my girls. The dog that had attack her was outside at it's house next door. You could see it through the woods. My hen suddenly started panicking, and I didn't know why until after I noticed the dog outside. She saw it, and was having PTSD. This was awhile after the attack too, and even form a far away distance, she recognized the dog and panicked. The dog didn't even know she was there. So it really could have.

I think she has ptsd. Which feels weird saying for a chicken ! But her behavior seems consistent. She only wants to see us, or the rooster and the other hens she just keeps a distance. I get up early to let everyone out and she runs out screaming. They are not bothering her, nothing out of the norm. The rooster is very kind to her and she’ll hang out with him under the porch. But he basically tends to the other 5 girls.

I think she has ptsd. Which feels weird saying for a chicken ! But her behavior seems consistent. She only wants to see us, or the rooster and the other hens she just keeps a distance. I get up early to let everyone out and she runs out screaming. They are not bothering her, nothing out of the norm. The rooster is very kind to her and she’ll hang out with him under the porch. But he basically tends to the other 5 girls.
It's too bad there's not a way to help her. Though, I've seen it happen often in these cases, that the hen will turn into a bully instead. How about this, you get her a friend? A friend who is smaller than her. That sometimes helps in these cases.

I had a hen, Nalla, who was scared to death of my rooster. Come to find out, the rooster was trying to actually kill her. I had a deformed cockerel who wasn't able to move into the flock, so I put him in with Nalla. She immediately adopted the cockerel, even though she wasn't broody. After he had passed, and the other rooster was replaced, she went in with the flock again and was fine with the roosters I had after that.

I've actually seen quite a few bad cases. Things I often would use was a large run with places that they could get away from each other without being seen. This actually helped one of my worst cases come around when I put her in a different flock. Also, she had a sister with her. Together, they settled in with no further issues.

I really think that getting your hen a friend would help a lot. Maybe a friend like a young pullet that can't hurt her and set them up by themselves till they're comfortable with each (approximately 2-3 weeks or so. ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom