Chicken died, is it a disease? help...

Jikke

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
I am fairly new to having chickens and I recently got some ex-factory chickens. I kept them in a quarantine for a while and besides from the poor feather condition they seemed to be doing fine. After a while I introduced them to my existing flock and all went well.
This morning I found one of the chickens slowly dying inside the coop. The rest of the chickens seemed to be doing fine but to be sure I put all of them outside. I looked at the chicken but could see no clear wounds or swollen parts. The only thing that is visible is that the face of the chicken is quit yellow.
Yesterday our dog attacked on small chick so I thought maybe the dog attacked the chicken as well but since there are no wounds this is probably not what happened.
The hen is 1.5 years old and does not have a breed, the weight is the same compared to all the other ex-factory chickens.
The hen appeared to be a bit mellow and down for a day.
I have not watched the eating and drinking behavior of the bird closely nor the poop but I can not find anything strange inside the coop.
I have a picture from the internet of what the 'breed looks like' I can also post a picture of the dying chicken if necessary.
I am not looking for a way to save the dying bird since the bird is beyond saving right now. I am looking for a way to prevent further diseases or harm to the existing flock.
Thanks in advance.
1589285179327.png

Oh, I forgot to mention housing situation; every nigth they sleep inside but during the day the are free ranging in a grass field.

Here is a picture of the chicken´s head.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 7
Here is a picture of the chicken´s head.
Her yellow skin could be an indicator of Kidney failure. I️ had a hen day of it. It is not contagious and is just something that happens. There’s not much you can do to stop it of save a bird from it.

Her yellow skin could be an indicator of Kidney failure. I️ had a hen day of it. It is not contagious and is just something that happens. There’s not much you can do to stop it of save a bird from it.
Thank you so much! I am glad it is not contagious.

It looks like a Leghorn to me. They are usually bred for eggs, but you can use them as meat birds.
It makes a difference on what kind of factory it was in. My family and friends are all in the beef/chicken/pork factory industry. If it is a leghorn it’s looks in poor health to begin with. The comb is really pale. Leghorns have a short lifespan and ones that spent most of their life in a factory have an even shorter lifespan.

They were used for egglaying. The hens arrived with the pale comb.
But these answers helped a lot, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom