Chicks suddenly dying red butt

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I got 8 chicks about 1 week ago and they were all doing fine except for one suddenly died a couple days ago. I did notice that it limped but only for about an hour before it walked normal again, other than that it was eating/drinking jsut fine. It ended up dying the next morning. Ever since 3 of the same breed have died, one a day except 2 died the same day. Could it be that my dog picked them up and gave them a heart attack? I find it odd that all 4 that died were the same breed. But today I noticed one had a huge poop and its vent is extremely red so could this have correlation on why the others died? Also it’s the only that hasn’t eaten, all the other ones are eating fine. I had chicks last summer and never seen anything like this.
AE4E1AA1-82E6-40F7-8C6C-C4CE1FD42ACE.png
A38B16FA-4360-46D8-93B0-FFF5AC110EF5.png

Where did you get the chicks? Diet? Brooder temperature? Looks like a bit of a prolapse and pasty butt not a death sentence.
Got them at Rural king, they did not have chick starte so they told us to get the meat bird crumble because that’s the only feed they had in crumble for and it’s what they have been giving them. I’m not sure of the exact temp but they have a heating pad and heating lamp.

I got 8 chicks about 1 week ago and they were all doing fine except for one suddenly died a couple days ago. I did notice that it limped but only for about an hour before it walked normal again, other than that it was eating/drinking jsut fine. It ended up dying the next morning. Ever since 3 of the same breed have died, one a day except 2 died the same day. Could it be that my dog picked them up and gave them a heart attack? I find it odd that all 4 that died were the same breed. But today I noticed one had a huge poop and its vent is extremely red so could this have correlation on why the others died? Also it’s the only that hasn’t eaten, all the other ones are eating fine. I had chicks last summer and never seen anything like this. View attachment 3744586View attachment 3744587
I can't quite tell whether it is a internal body part or something they have pooped out - like shedding of the intestinal lining and it's just sticking to their butt.

Got them at Rural king, they did not have chick starte so they told us to get the meat bird crumble because that’s the only feed they had in crumble for and it’s what they have been giving them. I’m not sure of the exact temp but they have a heating pad and heating lamp.
Meat bird is fine, are they huddled together? Spread out? Apply neosporin to the red thing.

Back
Top Bottom