Vaccinate or not?

Esrun

Songster
Jan 29, 2024
We had a hen die of Merecks over a year ago, probably two years ago. We have three hens right now (one unvaccinated that lived with the one who died of Merecks and two we got as chicks that are vaccinated but were not exposed to the one who died). Do all chicks now need to be vaccinated considering the one unvaccinated seems to have natural immunity and the two vaccinated were not exposed to the one who died, only the other hen who seems immune? Getting ready for new chicks in a few months. Our hens are healthy. We had the one who died autopsied (if I recall it said something like “most likely cause of death Merecks).

So, I don't have a straightforward answer. If they didn't actually PCR test for Mareks, it could be something else, but it could also 100% be Mareks. If I were in your position I would get vaccinated chicks, just in case. If they are vaccinated and never exposed to Mareks, no worries. If you do have Mareks on-site, then vaccinating would be a big saver. Some chickens can carry Mareks and shed the virus but seem to live normal lives.

So, I don't have a straightforward answer. If they didn't actually PCR test for Mareks, it could be something else, but it could also 100% be Mareks. If I were in your position I would get vaccinated chicks, just in case. If they are vaccinated and never exposed to Mareks, no worries. If you do have Mareks on-site, then vaccinating would be a big saver. Some chickens can carry Mareks and shed the virus but seem to live normal lives.
Ok, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom