1 week old chicks dying (7 deaths so far!)

PeepingK

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
I have 22, 1 and half week old chicks that are suddenly dying.
This past Monday we lost 6 and again 1 tonight. 2 others aren’t looking very good and might pass as well.
Symptoms include gaping/gasping. Once the symptoms start it’s not too long before they die.

Can anyone help me out? What could be causing so many chicks to die at such a young age??

Could there be a poison? Could it be a red light bulb? I hear there are some red light bulbs coated with something that will kill chicks. If so, please get rid of the red lamp until you can find out more about the red lamp. Use a normal light bulb for the ti

Where is the brooder set up ?
What temp are you keeping ?
Any kind of cleaners , essential oils ect
some types of cookware are toxic
Have you checked them for pasty butt?
What kind of bedding are you using ?
What kind of brooder is it
Can you post pics of your set up
Sorry for all the questions but we need to narrow it down so you don’t continue to loose them

Could there be a poison? Could it be a red light bulb? I hear there are some red light bulbs coated with something that will kill chicks. If so, please get rid of the red lamp until you can find out more about the red lamp. Use a normal light bulb for the ti
A normal light bulb will not be warm enough unless you mean a normal heat bulb. It coating shouldn't bother then unless the lamp is fairly low in the brooder.

I have 22, 1 and half week old chicks that are suddenly dying.
This past Monday we lost 6 and again 1 tonight. 2 others aren’t looking very good and might pass as well.
Symptoms include gaping/gasping. Once the symptoms start it’s not too long before they die.

Can anyone help me out? What could be causing so many chicks to die at such a young age??
Wernt you dealing with a Mycoplasma disease awhile back?

Wernt you dealing with a Mycoplasma disease awhile back?
Yeah I was. It was. Suspected case of MG and what ended up happening was the vet screwed up and gave me the wrong test tube so the lab said the test needed to be redone. I haven’t gotten around to getting the test since the clinic is so far from my house and I don’t go there very often.
I did have them tested for MG back in the summer and the results were negative, however when I asked to have them retested again in the fall they told me that doing a blood draw isn’t accurate and that I needed to do the PCR swab. Anyway.. this whole mycoplasma issue has been a huge pain in the rear.
I’m planning on picking up a couple PCR swabs this weekend so we’ll see what happens. Are there any other Chronic Respiratory diseases that are similar to mycoplasma that I should also be testing for?

Back
Top Bottom