Young Birds Suddenly Seizing and Dying

marymasc

Chirping
Dec 17, 2021
I’ve had 3 young (3-5 month old) chickens die suddenly in the past week. The first was on Sunday, the bird was puffed up and and seemed disinterested in eating, I assumed it was due to the cold. That night when I went to lock up he was dead under the coop, and his legs were stuck straight out behind him as if he had had a seizure. The next day, another bird from a different batch of chicks was exhibiting the same symptoms. I separated him, gave him water mixed with molasses, and tried to get him to eat, but he declined very rapidly, had a seizure, and died while I was holding him. I then gave vitamin water (Nutri-Drench is the brand) to the whole flock. I checked weight on a few birds and kept an eye on everyone to see if there were any symptoms but they all looked fine. Today, I found another bird (about the same age as the first one) dead, again, looking as if he had seized and died. Nothing has changed in their diet, no new birds have been added recently, etc. They all seem pretty healthy right now but I’m very worried as the most recent death seemed very sudden with minimal symptoms. What should I do going forwards? Thanks.

What was their diet and poops like?
It could be coccidiosis.
They’ve all gotten layer pellets for the past month or so. No bloody poops that I’ve seen, I’ve noticed them to be a bit greenish every once in a while but nothing super obvious. Thank you.

the bird was puffed up and and seemed disinterested in eating,
Classic coccidiosis pose and behavior.

Only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry may present as blood in droppings. The others will not.

Today, I found another bird (about the same age as the first one) dead
You could refrigerate and send in necropsy.. free or affordable to backyard keepers in some states contact info in link..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

They're a little young for layer yet, any chance they could have something toxic or moldy?
I agree— the layer was only supposed to be until I got more chick starter, I had assumed it would be okay for them but after reading about it I won’t be giving it to them anymore. I also thought it was something toxic/moldy that they ate at first but there’s no new plants in their run, no mold on anything that I’ve given them, etc. After reading @EggSighted4Life’s comment, I think you are correct about Coccidiosis and I will treat them for that. Thank you for the help.

Classic coccidiosis pose and behavior.

Only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry may present as blood in droppings. The others will not.

You could refrigerate and send in necropsy.. free or affordable to backyard keepers in some states contact info in link..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss! :hugs
Thank you. I would like to send one in for a necropsy. Assuming it is Coccidiosis, what would be the best way to treat the flock?

Thank you. I would like to send one in for a necropsy. Assuming it is Coccidiosis, what would be the best way to treat the flock?
Without seeing a vet most folks will use Corid to treat..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

There are other possible causes, that's not a classic age for coccidiosis but it's still possible.. using Corid will NOT be harmful if that isn't it.. but B vitamin supplements should be avoided during treatment as it works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of the coccidia in order for the immune system to have some time to build resistance but does not actively kill anything.

Hope you get answers and the rest of you flock continues to thrive. :fl

Without seeing a vet most folks will use Corid to treat..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

There are other possible causes, that's not a classic age for coccidiosis but it's still possible.. using Corid will NOT be harmful if that isn't it.. but B vitamin supplements should be avoided during treatment as it works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of the coccidia in order for the immune system to have some time to build resistance but does not actively kill anything.

Hope you get answers and the rest of you flock continues to thrive. :fl
Sorry for the late reply- I’ve been treating the whole flock with Corid and I haven’t had any more birds get sick. I will probably give them something to build resistance after Corid treatment is over. Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom