Chicken disappeared without leaving a trace

fanynany

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Texas
Hi, around 8 am yesterday my chicken was out, shouldn’t have been out since my rooster was out but miscommunication and etc lead to her not being in her fenced area, not sure if she got scared of the roosters and ran off and hid or if he attacked her but there was no feathers whatsoever, no screaming whatsoever, absolutely nothing that would lead me to thinking she was attacked by something and the rooster and the other chicken were in sight the entire time and she would’ve screamed and caused the others to go off, i was thinking it was a bird that took her since i sometimes see them but i feel like there would’ve been a struggle or maybe a scream but nope?? i’ve looked around the place and nothing? any ideas??:(

i was thinking that she possibly hid under the house but i feel like she would’ve come out already, maybe laying eggs? but she’s never laid and maybe she would be out already? i don’t know where she could possibly be

Hard to say. She may be hiding or a predator took her and they don't always leave any evidence behind. Hopefully she is hiding somewhere and will come out. If you have a camera, put it up and see if anything has been lurking. If she was taken by a predator, it will be back. Good luck...

D2F8EAD9-E955-437C-8A9D-ADDE033CBDC9.jpeg

look at who i found

Glad you found her! Chickens are always surprising me with something new! I have kept chickens since 1955 as a child and since 1976 on my own and new events almost every year! She was lucky to come home safe. Free ranged chickens live a precarious existence, in general. Everything likes to eat them! I had some tough Dominickers many years ago that were my most successful free ranged birds. Some died from old age, making it past predators and environmental issues past 10 years and more. Other varieties did less well, even with more effort at protecting them while free ranging. Sometimes they just get lucky and sometimes they don't have much of a chance to live a long life free ranged. I wish you success and a long lived healthy flock!

Glad you found her! Chickens are always surprising me with something new! I have kept chickens since 1955 as a child and since 1976 on my own and new events almost every year! She was lucky to come home safe. Free ranged chickens live a precarious existence, in general. Everything likes to eat them! I had some tough Dominickers many years ago that were my most successful free ranged birds. Some died from old age, making it past predators and environmental issues past 10 years and more. Other varieties did less well, even with more effort at protecting them while free ranging. Sometimes they just get lucky and sometimes they don't have much of a chance to live a long life free ranged. I wish you success and a long lived healthy flock!
I plan on attaching welded wire chicken tunnels around our perimeter fence (at least 50 feet) for my flock of young hens so they can forage safely for bugs (like any free ranged chicken but without the dangers) They have a secure coop and covered runs with plenty of room (predator proof) My chicks weren't raised in an established flock by a hen so they're naive but flighty. Dominiques are my favorite! (hatchery chicks 1st generation )

i was thinking that she possibly hid under the house but i feel like she would’ve come out already, maybe laying eggs? but she’s never laid and maybe she would be out already? i don’t know where she could possibly be

The same thing happened with my Cayuga duck the night before last between 2-5:00 am. We have woods behind our house and it’s been a while since I’ve heard any coyotes but owls, we do have them. There were 3 of my ducks out but the Cayuga was the biggest and slowest. I didn’t see any coyote tracks. There’s no way he could fit under the house and no way in or out the backyard other than the gate, which gets closed at dusk every day…there’s a 4 ft fence surrounding the property but that’s it, now my other two are grieving for their leader. My bedroom window faces the backyard and I didn’t hear anything either.

Hi, around 8 am yesterday my chicken was out, shouldn’t have been out since my rooster was out but miscommunication and etc lead to her not being in her fenced area, not sure if she got scared of the roosters and ran off and hid or if he attacked her but there was no feathers whatsoever, no screaming whatsoever, absolutely nothing that would lead me to thinking she was attacked by something and the rooster and the other chicken were in sight the entire time and she would’ve screamed and caused the others to go off, i was thinking it was a bird that took her since i sometimes see them but i feel like there would’ve been a struggle or maybe a scream but nope?? i’ve looked around the place and nothing? any ideas??:(
this has happened to me, a few times it turned out to be a single hen who felt like going off to explore solo and the other times it was a broody or laying hen hiding super well. glad you found her :)

The same thing happened with my Cayuga duck the night before last between 2-5:00 am. We have woods behind our house and it’s been a while since I’ve heard any coyotes but owls, we do have them. There were 3 of my ducks out but the Cayuga was the biggest and slowest. I didn’t see any coyote tracks. There’s no way he could fit under the house and no way in or out the backyard other than the gate, which gets closed at dusk every day…there’s a 4 ft fence surrounding the property but that’s it, now my other two are grieving for their leader. My bedroom window faces the backyard and I didn’t hear anything either.
The coyotes young are hunting on their own for the 1st time now (foxes too)and the young aren't good hunters and have to take risks the older ones wouldn't .Please try to put electric fence around your yard to protect your ducks.Coyotes can jump a 6 ft fence.I have the same problem here and dread putting an electric fence up.Keep putting it off...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom