Chicken disappears, shows back up and is acting strange.

JoAnL

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
One of my chickens disappeared about 3 and 1/2 weeks ago, I thought something had got her. Yesterday she shows up and the other chickens started picking on her when I put her in the coop, which I thought was normal because they probably thought she was new. But this morning when I let them out she just drinks water and stays right in the coop on a perch. She is acting strange either standing in the corner, or standing on one foot or the other. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her? She is drinking water but I have not seen her eating.

She's scared of the others. Put more food and water sources in till she becomes a flock member again.
It would also help to remove the worst bullies for a couple days.

Where do you think she has been for that long? I thought maybe she was sitting on some eggs somewhere and she was depressed. If this happens with chickens.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It is possible she is broody. You will have to hang around and follow her outside to see where she goes.

However ChickenCanoe is correct in that if they are bullying her, she may be afraid to come down around them or to eat or drink.

I think first thing you need to do is examine her for any injuries. Being gone this long she may have been out somewhere healing. So make sure she doesn't have anything wrong with her.

Then put out more food and water stations. Hang around to see what she is doing, how the others are treating her or where she goes if she tries to disappear again.

I have been keeping a eye on her she is still just hanging around the coop. I could tell last night when I put her in she had lost weight, but I didn't see anymore injury's.

It's out of left field but, possibly someone hen napped her, and she got loose and came home? I don't know if chickens have memories to do that like carrier pigeons but in lieu of the truth, it's as good a theory as any. She may have hatched a brood and some predator wiped them out - so she came home. Have you checked her over for any wounds, or bites ? Check for puncture wounds especially.

Once chickens are out of line of sight of any landmarks/tall trees, etc. they're pretty much lost.
A broody hen will lose a lot of weight, especially one that never came home to eat and was restricted to the bugs, seeds she could find in her hour a day foray.

Back
Top Bottom