Chicken doesn’t want to step outside

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
It snowed a lot last night and this is the first time she ever sees snow. Well I opened the door and she would just peek outside. I even called her name and she didn’t want to come. So I picked her up and put her about a foot outside her house. She stood there looking around. Then she didn’t take another step into the snow but a big jump back inside her house. I left the door open and put food and water. Is there anything else i should do or will she be fine?

It snowed a lot last night and this is the first time she ever sees snow. Well I opened the door and she would just peek outside. I even called her name and she didn’t want to come. So I picked her up and put her about a foot outside her house. She stood there looking around. Then she didn’t take another step into the snow but a big jump back inside her house. I left the door open and put food and water. Is there anything else i should do or will she be fine?
She will be okay, some chickens just dont like the coldness on their feet. As long as she had her food and water she should be fine. Good luck!!

Most chickens don't like snow. If you want them to come out, you can shovel out a path or a patch so it's mostly snow free, or throw down dry bedding on top of the snow to give them a snow-free "island" to stand on.

If it's actively snowing I shovel multiple times a day.

Most chickens don't like snow. If you want them to come out, you can shovel out a path or a patch so it's mostly snow free, or throw down dry bedding on top of the snow to give them a snow-free "island" to stand on.

If it's actively snowing I shovel multiple times a day.
Same! Just got back inside from raking the snow off the grass so they can get some exercise. One hen in particular will stay solo in the run while the other take their chances. They avoid the snow and wet so much so they let me pick them up and carry them back inside sometimes, lol.
Its kinda funny but they know before i even open the run door if they are gonna go out. If they are standing RIgHT AT the door; then they are out! If they are not right at the door they already know they choice not to go out. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom