Chicken don't like to go out of the coop

Ute in UK

Chirping
Jan 15, 2019
Hello together,
one of my wyandotte chickens doesn't like to go out of the coop.
She is eating and she looks out of the door but she doesn't like to go out.
If I carry her outside she only will sit under the coop or go back.
Anyway, I thought her peek looks a bit longer than the other chickens peek and I wonder,
what I can give her in the coop that she can "sand" it down.....cuttlefish?
Thanks for comments
Ute

Forgive me, but it took a bit of time to realize you are talking about the beak. If you can post a photo of her beak, we can tell you if we agree she needs it trimmed.

As for not wanting to mingle with the other chickens, she may be a bullying victim. When a chicken believes that they exist to be shoved around and pecked at by the others, they often give up and don't even try to stand up for themselves. You can help her if this is the case. Follow the tips in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Hello together,
one of my wyandotte chickens doesn't like to go out of the coop.
She is eating and she looks out of the door but she doesn't like to go out.
If I carry her outside she only will sit under the coop or go back.
Anyway, I thought her beak looks a bit longer than the other chickens beak and I wonder,
what I can give her in the coop that she can "sand" it down.....cuttlefish?
Thanks for comments
Ute

thanks, I have read your article and I will do a pic. Sorry for my mistake....(me bloody german)

Last edited:
Forgive me, but it took a bit of time to realize you are talking about the beak. If you can post a photo of her beak, we can tell you if we agree she needs it trimmed.

As for not wanting to mingle with the other chickens, she may be a bullying victim. When a chicken believes that they exist to be shoved around and pecked at by the others, they often give up and don't even try to stand up for themselves. You can help her if this is the case. Follow the tips in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/
Patuffa.jpg

Here is a photo of Patuffa and her beak that I thought is a bit long....is there anything I can do?

Oh, that's easy to trim. Do you see the clear part at the tip where the light shines through? Use a cat or dog nail trimmer and clip the end, avoiding the "quick"farther up.

It helps to wrap your chicken snuggly in a towel, covering the eyes if you can. Grasp her head firmly so she can't make a sudden jerk just as you start to cut. Make a series of small cuts rather than one deep one. Trim until you reach the quick. You will see how the beak changes as you get close to the quick.

If you happen to hit blood, dip her beak in a little sugar or corn starch to stop the bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom