Chicken/Duck food question (layer feed ?)

I have 14 chickens and 2 ducks. Male female ducks. 2 of the chickens are roos. THEY all get layer food. Shell are a waste of money. Layena has it all in it. Why pay for extra and double the work. I never ever had a problem with the chickens or ducks. Egg shell, again, never had one to break because of softness due to lack of calcium. Same goes with grit. Never once have I bought a bag of grit. Our land is so full of rocks. They scratch for there own grit.
You may want to do some research on the affects of feeding high levels of calcium to Males, Young Birds and Non-Laying Females.

Males, Young Birds and Non-Laying Females only need about 1.5% calcium in there diet and any more than that is doing harm and can kill the birds.
Now before someone says that they feed layer to everyone and never had a problem I will say this, There is a good reason for Calcium Toxicity being called a Silent Killer.

Chris

I don't feed layer feed to my young chickens. I've been doing this for years and years and never had one just up and die. When they die it's by my hand alone. Layer feed has no effect on roo's at all. All the studies you read are USDA standards. Which in my eyes are full of holes.

Facts: In the United States, USDA free range regulations apply only to poultry and indicate that the animal has been allowed access to the outside.[3] The USDA regulations do not specify the quality or size of the outside range nor the duration of time an animal must have access to the outside.

Most companies that calm they have free range chickens have a door the chickens can't even get out of. Open it up and call there chickens free range.

Layer feed has so little calcium in it. Every animal needs calcium for strong bones and a lot of other heath reasons. Again I'm not talking young chickens. And if the females are too old to lay eggs there in the freezer. So I don't see the problem here.

I think a lot of people try to become scientist and biologist here. REALLY. We are all talking about CHICKENS HERE!!!! I will say it again. Don't over think how to feed them, warm them, water them. There chickens for god sakes. When I first started raising chickens I tried to hard to keep them safe, clean water and boarding them up on cold nights. I had a terrible time keeping healthy chickens. Once I realized they were just chickens and i let them be chickens I now have the prettiest and healthiest chickens around. It's a wonder the forum is so full of problems.

When you become a chicken owner you now have a small farm. On farms guess what, you will have problems and they will be moralities.
Just the fact of life. I just think people are over thinking to much is all. Sorry if I went off on a tangent. But I had to learn the hard way of over babying my chickens. It's not good for them. I wish people would understand that. All would be better off.

I agree! I was never planning to give it to the young birds anyway as I stated I thought I would give it to my flock when the little ones got a bit older!!!
big_smile.png
as for my male duck getting to much calcium
idunno.gif
I have seen him sneaking oyster shells before!!! Oh well i'm a chicken newbie so still learning!!! thanks all for the input!!! I will do a little more checking before I do any switching of foods.

I don't feed layer feed to my young chickens. I've been doing this for years and years and never had one just up and die. When they die it's by my hand alone. Layer feed has no effect on roo's at all. All the studies you read are USDA standards. Which in my eyes are full of holes.

Quote: Do your homework, Those that say that layer feed has no effect on Rooster have never looked into it and/or have no idea.

Quote: You have no idea what I have or have not read. Don't assume things it will get you no where.
I will let you know this I have read more than one study on the affects of a high calcium diet fed to non-laying fowl that was outside the U.S. and was not governed by the USDA.

In the end you can believe what you want but I will say this.... In my 30+ years of raising, breeding and showing poultry I have never meet a experienced breeder or a experienced poultry-men that feed Layer feed to Non-laying fowl....

Chris

We all must make our own decisions on what we think is best. What works for me might not work for others. So true about everything in life.
smile.png
I just know what works for me. Not here to start a war with the experts!
bow.gif

Actually was just going to share a pic with her. A few of this years hens.

We all must make our own decisions on what we think is best. What works for me might not work for others. So true about everything in life.
smile.png
I just know what works for me. Not here to start a war with the experts!
bow.gif

Actually was just going to share a pic with her. A few of this years hens.

Lovely girls!!!

You are so right!!!!

Everyone has a different opinion that works for them, that's what I like about BYC.

Lovely girls!!!

You are so right!!!!

Everyone has a different opinion that works for them, that's what I like about BYC.
That may be true but there is a big difference between what is and what is not correct.
The information is out there and all one has to do is look for it.

Chris

I keep both too and opt for a flock raiser and free choice oyster shell, not only makes things more straightforward but i keep drakes too and layer is not appropriate for them.

Is there a difference in layer feed for ducks or chickens? My ducks should start laying soon and I want to switch over to layer food.

Back
Top Bottom