Chicken/Duck food question (layer feed ?)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crafty-Duck, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I have 5 chickens and 2 Muscovy ducks I keep together my question is......

Two of my hens are laying and need laying feed but the other three chickens won't be laying for another couple of months so they can't have it, what do I do??? and also is it okay if the ducks eat the layer feed? because they all live together except at night when they are separated by a wall in the coop.

Thanks

2. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Anyone have any advice for me???

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Laying hens don't need laying feed. They need calcium. Laying feed has calcium in it but there are others way to get it. I personally keep my flock on a grower or flock raiser at all times with oyster shell on the side so they can all regulate their own calcium intake. If it is on the side they will only eat it if they need it.

4. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Thanks I do keep egg shells and oyster shells out but one of my chickens has been having soft shells or not laying at all when the other one who is the same age lays everyday so I was concerned she wasn't getting enough calcium, but maybe it is just taking her longer to adjust to laying? I'm new to chickens!

5. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have 14 chickens and 2 ducks. Male female ducks. 2 of the chickens are roos. THEY all get layer food. Shell are a waste of money. Layena has it all in it. Why pay for extra and double the work. I never ever had a problem with the chickens or ducks. Egg shell, again, never had one to break because of softness due to lack of calcium. Same goes with grit. Never once have I bought a bag of grit. Our land is so full of rocks. They scratch for there own grit.

6. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Great! I think when my little ones get a little bigger I will just switch all of them over to layer feed.

7. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]my Pekin Duck started laying around 16 days ago. I have gotten an egg every single day from her. I wont tell my hens, but her egg are way better than the chicken eggs.I sell all my chicken eggs. I keep the duck eggs for me.LOL!!

8. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]That's great!!! my duck is to old to lay eggs anymore she's about 5 now. I miss the eggs[​IMG] that's why I just got chickens, 2 of them are laying and 3 will start in a couple of months can't wait!!!! Duck eggs are better though!!!!!!!

9. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Before you know it, you will have a frig full of them.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree 100%

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by