Chicken/duck Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tewinkle, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Tewinkle

Tewinkle Hatching

Jun 14, 2019
    I’m a curious bystander who doesn’t know much about chickens or ducks but this piqued my curiosity. I was walking around a lake a couple months ago and saw a lone white female chicken with red comb among lots of different kinds of ducks including plain white ones. Not aware of any chicken farms nearby so I figured it was lost. Then this month, I saw this creature that had characteristics of both the hen and white ducks. But it doesn’t swim with the other ducks. How rare is this? I thought hens and ducks were physically incompatible. I haven’t seen the hen in awhile. Is this thing dangerous at all to the other ducks? Should I report it to animal control?

Attached Files:

2. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    It's not a chicken, it's a Muscovy duck. The red warts on the face are normal, just part of the breed.

3. The_BirdNerd

The_BirdNerd Chirping

Jun 12, 2019
    Australia, Melbourne
    It appears to be a Muscovy duck, and it shouldn’t be dangerous whatsoever, unless you get too close to it’s eggs! And even if it doesn’t swim when you watch it, it is likely that it swims at different times. I don’t know if Muscovy’s are meant to wild or domestic but it could’ve escaped it’s home and is living just fine with the flock of other ducks

4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Looks like a duck to me. I see duck feet. What about it looks like a chicken to you? Google Muscovy duck.

5. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Chirping

Apr 23, 2017
    Def a muscovy duck, and healthy at that. You can relax it is not a freak hybrid. Glad you came to us first

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Were there any white turkeys hanging around those ducks?

7. Tewinkle

Tewinkle Hatching

Jun 14, 2019
    No turkeys that I’ve seen. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I guess I was curious because I recently saw a lone chicken with similar coloring (all white with red on the head) and I’ve never seen a Muscovy duck in Southern California in all my 36 years here. So it was the coloring, the long claws and the way it moves it’s head and neck that seemed more chicken like. Haha. Oh well. Glad I can just enjoy without concern. Thanks again!

casportpony and chkncrazy like this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    :lau:gig. :smack

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Someone probably dumped him off there. :(