1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken/Duck processing differences

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdywntr, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hi. I started out my processing adventures with Muscovy ducks. I have not processed a chicken yet but I have some Cornish Rocks to process and I want to do some tomorrow.

Any differences I should be aware of with chickens, cornish rock in particular?

Thanks.

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I heard chickens are easier to pluck then ducks are other then that I never processed a duck before but would like to in the future. I also have Cornish rocks I'll be processing in a few weeks.

3. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    from what I remember(been a long time since we did ducks) waterfowl is harder to pluck because their feathers shed water, so not enough scald water makes it to the skin to be effective... IIRC, the wax plucking method is supposed to make waterfowl plucking easier

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Chickens are much easier. I also have ducks. Their skin is a little more delicate, and there is no down, so you know thats about 3x faster.

We just dip them intoo the hot water, and pluck away. Squeeze out any pinfeathers, and your golden.

Have any tricks for speed plucking ducks? I have Khaki and White Pekings laying flocks, but we eat extra males. I have my pirst Muscovy eggs in the bator now.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Marty

I actually finished processing 7 as game hens about 1 hour ago. I scalded and hand plucked. Took me a while but I was doing it alone.

For ducks, when I processed my muscovy I only plucked one, I skinned the rest. I may try dry plucking when mine are grown enough. I have a muscovy pair, the female is sitting on a nest of 14 eggs now. I also have 6 Rouen ducklings - 6 weeks old.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Chickens are easier to pluck and if you have Cornish Cross chickens they are extra easy to pluck.

Scald water doesn't have to be quite as hot and birds are in the water a shorter time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by