Chicken Dummy seeking Mentor

no matter if you live in the country or a rural neighborhood
up here in the mountains we have every predator you can imagine
this is why I built 2ft by 3ft by 16ft runners I have 6 of them helps keep them safe so far we had a bear visit every evening also a mountain lion. as long as I keep electric fence armed at nite every thing is safe

I sympathize! Near neighbors clear cut 200 acres last year, and everything that used to live there seemed to find a way to the backyard, where all seemed determined to dine on purebred chickens--the rarest, costliest first!
You can eliminate opossums--they eat the head and neck first. You said you thought you heard a growl--possibly a dog or dogs, particularly since you said the remains were stacked, think retrievers

Remains = random body parts and feathers.

look on amazon I bought a aviary net 50 x 50 27.99 we have
Yaheetech 50' X 50' Net Netting for Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens Black 27.99 We use it our bird yard is 1/4 acre field wire 5ft up two rows chicken wire higher with 2 of the netting to cover and a great cockerel that makes sure they stay safe

Rebel is well Rebel.... He’s 1 1/2 and has puppy moments.
We moved to this home 6 months ago. Prior we had a small privacy fenced subdivision lot. We’re on 10 acres that is NOT fenced. He’s on a 1 acre wireless shock collar.
Given his history of small/medium size game kills I was uneasy about leaving him alone with them. I’ve been very good about daily interaction between him and his “Friends”. He’s very indifferent towards all except Butterscotch. He’s definitely not himself today. It’s like he’s waiting for her to come up the path.

I love your little farm & family. I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think you did anything wrong. There is a learning curve with raising chickens. BYC & their experienced members can help. I wish I were more computer savvy, I would post a link to Poulty DVM, they have a Poultry Predator Identifier. Unfortunately, the killer will return. I wouldn't free range without direct supervision & a firearm until the predator is eliminated. Free ranging comes with risk. I have 4 acres fenced with 4 ft high small animal fence. Within that, I have 1/4 acre fenced chicken yard. The only protection my flock has while free ranging is the rooster & my cow dog. The roo is good at alerting the girls to Hawks & I "think" he would fight a predator. The dog patrols the area around the chicken yard, but can't enter their area. She alerts by barking non stop until I acknowledge her. So far, there have been many suspicious looking squirrels & lizards. The chickens are locked up tight in their coops from dusk till dawn. Many members use electric poultry netting or fencing. (Depending on the predators in your area, you may have to go electric fencing around the coop/run. You can add your location to your profile. I didn't see where you live) Make sure to check out the coop section. There are many great ideas & information. Having the correct space for the number of flock members can prevent disease, injuries & behavioral problems. Especially in the colder climates & when the flock has to be cooped up for long periods of time. Most people have to beef up the prefab coops. If you use the search forums & look for post about raccoons, you will find members talking about how horrible they are. They can rip & chew thru things that you would never believe. They can open a lot of different latches too. We don't have minks in North Texas, but I've read that they can get thru very small spaces. Knowledge is power! Also check out your state thread. You may find a member/members that live near you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom