Chicken dust bath

Welcome to BYC.

Is there a reason that they can't just dig their own dust baths in the ground?

If so, don't use any kind of potting soil that has any sort of fertilizer, water beads, or any other additive. Plain dirt. :)
Yes they are in a controlled coop. I just wanted to make sure about the sand. I have first Saturday lime, wood ash, a little pine shavings and a little yarded an dirt. Just need an answer about the sand

No, it has cement in it as well as the sand. I think there is a "topping" that doesn't have the cement, I'll try to find it.

edit to add. I didn't find the sand and small gravel mix that I thought I saw called topping.

Last edited:
No, it has cement in it as well as the sand. I think there is a "topping" that doesn't have the cement, I'll try to find it.

edit to add. I didn't find the sand and small gravel mix that I thought I saw called topping.
OK, Home Depot told my daughter that Quickcrete was contractor sand. I will just throw it out and see if I can't find multipurpose sand. Thank you for your response.

OK, Home Depot told my daughter that Quickcrete was contractor sand. I will just throw it out and see if I can't find multipurpose sand. Thank you for your response.

Read the label carefully.

Quickcrete *may* have plain sand as part of their product line. They are a brand with many kinds of cement and cement-related products. :)

Back
Top Bottom