Chicken dying need help!

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
New to chickens this year. I’m not sure what is wrong with them. Clean water changed several x day, food available all day. Had 2 die last week. Fine one day, gone 2 days later. Thought bacterial-though I give them acv sporadically. Cleaned out coop and waterer. Wormed all Sat. Now another sick this morning-a week later. Separated her. Should I get antibiotics? Which one-how much? She’s 5 months, standard breed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, hopefully she’s not too far gone. I guess she could be just getting ready to lay first egg and I’m panicking.

Just mopey thus far, just sitting/standing, wings out. Not interested in food or water. No outward signs-discharge or coughing. Not sure about droppings yet but the last one that died had brown liquid diarrhea.

Are you cleaning out you coop regular? Sometimes all the dust build up can get in there lungs. Had this happen when I first started raising chickens about 5 years ago. Lost 5 Rhode Island Red pullets.

I had them in an enclosed coop with country sand, always seemed to smell though I scooped it Dailey. Was dusty, changed back to cedar shavings when I cleaned coop last week. I added food grade de and sprinkled some lime, but only minimal and under the shavings. I have a dirt run that I frequently put the lime on that also keeps a lot of wasted food on it. I also store their water in milk jugs to pour in waterer. Might be there a few days. Headed home and will give an update on her.

In young birds, runny, mucousy droppings can be coccidiosis. Depending on the strain, it can take them down fast. Blood is sometimes present, but not with all strains. Other common symptoms are lethargy, sitting fluffed up, going off food and water.
Treatment is Corid, and it's very safe. If in doubt I would start that ASAP, it won't hurt anything if it's something else.

She didn’t make it. No idea what’s going on with them, not sure what I’m doing wrong. I will try the Corid if another gets sick. Thank you all for your help.

If you still have the body, it would be a good idea to have a necropsy done, particularly since you have lost more than one under similar circumstances. That is the best way to know for sure what happened, and if it's something that could affect your remaining birds.
In many states the cost is very reasonable. You can also contact your local agricultural office and ask them for resources for necropsy.
If you lose another, then I would definitely have one done. Refrigerate, don't freeze, the body. Below are links to resources by state. Contact your nearest one for particulars, if they are close enough you may be able to drop off the bird rather than ship it.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

If you still have the body, it would be a good idea to have a necropsy done, particularly since you have lost more than one under similar circumstances. That is the best way to know for sure what happened, and if it's something that could affect your remaining birds.
In many states the cost is very reasonable. You can also contact your local agricultural office and ask them for resources for necropsy.
If you lose another, then I would definitely have one done. Refrigerate, don't freeze, the body. Below are links to resources by state. Contact your nearest one for particulars, if they are close enough you may be able to drop off the bird rather than ship it.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
Thank you

I had them in an enclosed coop with country sand, always seemed to smell though I scooped it Dailey. Was dusty, changed back to cedar shavings when I cleaned coop last week. I added food grade de and sprinkled some lime, but only minimal and under the shavings. I have a dirt run that I frequently put the lime on that also keeps a lot of wasted food on it. I also store their water in milk jugs to pour in waterer. Might be there a few days. Headed home and will give an update on her.
Have you always used cedar shavings? I think I read on here they are not good for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom