Chicken eaten in coop last night by...??

clucksnducklins

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2022
I found one of my hens dead this morning.. in the corner of the coop with her insides completely gone but head still attached.. I've noticed a possum coming around lately.. I'm sure that's what killed her.. I have straw inside my coop on the floor.. My question is how do I clean the area where she was eaten? I removed a good layer of straw from there but I feel like it still smells and needs something more done.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

How did an animal get into the coop? This is the question that needs answering and then mitigating. Actively look at your coop and determine if there are any entrances larger than 1/2 inch. Board them up or cover with hard wire cloth.

There is no need for a trail cam except to watch wildlife. It does not help stopping predators. We use trail cams for entertainment. See a 400 lbs black bear or random animal like bobcat passing.

Crap I just ran out of vinegar too..looks like I'll have to pick some up at the dollar store.. Today I guess will be dedicated to reinforcing and cleaning my chicken coop.. don't want to lose another one of my girls! If only they had taken a rooster, I have too many of them!! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom