Chicken killed in coop last night

Happy Helper

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio
I found a dead chicken in my coop this morning. It's head was off. What could that have been? They were outside in my outer area that has roosts and chicken wire all around. However from two feet up the wire is about 2"x2". I am thinking they got in from there. Anyway, would like to know what killed it. I suppose he will be back again this evening.

I found a dead chicken in my coop this morning. It's head was off. What could that have been? They were outside in my outer area that has roosts and chicken wire all around. However from two feet up the wire is about 2"x2". I am thinking they got in from there. Anyway, would like to know what killed it. I suppose he will be back again this evening.
Sounds like a raccoon

It will be back! Most likely it was a raccoon, possibly an owl.

I am thinking it was a racoon from what I read here this morning. I do not think an owl could get in. I just have to figure out where the raccoon got in. We have plenty of racoons around here. I have had this coop and run for at least a dozen years and have never had this problem. The wire must be getting weak somewhere. I am going to put up a camera inside and maybe one outside too.

Don't forget they can also very easily reach through 2" x 2" fencing and grab a chicken, as can owls and hawks and some other predators, but that is for sure a specialty of raccoons in particular.

The chicken was laying in the middle of the run so the predator had to have gotten in and killed the chicken. If he had just reached in, the chicken would be near the outside. I plan to go out and check the coop more completely when I let them out to free range. I appreciate all the ideas, I sure can use them!

The chicken was laying in the middle of the run so the predator had to have gotten in and killed the chicken. If he had just reached in, the chicken would be near the outside. I plan to go out and check the coop more completely when I let them out to free range. I appreciate all the ideas, I sure can use them!
Not necessarily, it could have broken loose from the predator's grip while in it's death throes and ended up quite far away from where it actually took place. But certainly it's always best to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Best of luck!

I am going to put a trail camera out there tonight. My family has security cameras all over but I don't think there are any near the chicken coop. I could not see where it had come in. We'll see what happens tonight. I think I will check to see if the chickens are all on their roosts after dark. I know these predators can climb but I'm wondering if the chicken had been down on the ground when it was captured and killed.

Mary, I wish I could get them to a safer place but there are around 45 of them and I don't think they will all fit into the interior of the coop. Also, its too hot for them to be in there all crowded. I'm sure the predator will be back since they have found a way in. I will have to enlist my son-in-law to help me predator proof the chicken run.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom