What’s killing my chickens?

Silkielady87

Hatching
Dec 30, 2021
Since April we have had something killing our chickens. We fixed the coop and it didn’t happen for a couple weeks. Then it made a hole and got in. It’s only killing one a night. Sometimes it takes it off and leaves feathers. We’ve had 8 chickens get got but 2 were killed in the coop. They are missing their heads and part of them ate. We fixed the hole and it didn’t attack for a week but pulled the chicken wire off the wood and got in. What is killing my chickens? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

More details?

I’m assuming from your post the attacks are at night?

Is the hole just in the run? Any idea how the predator got them in the coop?

How big is the hole?

Common nocturnal predators are raccoons, opossums, etc.

Are you sure they’re coming in the hole? Birds of prey (owls hawks) will take chickens leaving no feathers.

Just thoughts.

More details?

I’m assuming from your post the attacks are at night?

Is the hole just in the run? Any idea how the predator got them in the coop?

How big is the hole?

Common nocturnal predators are raccoons, opossums, etc.

Are you sure they’re coming in the hole? Birds of prey (owls hawks) will take chickens leaving no feathers.

Just thoughts.
Sorry about that. Night time yes. It was in the coop. We have chicken wire around it and it ripped through the wire. Made a hole. The top is covered so it couldn’t be a Hawk or Owl.

Welcome!
Chicken wire keeps chicken in, and is useless keeping predators out.
Pictures of your coop and run will be helpful here! In general, any opening larger than 1/2" diameter will let rats and weasels in, and hardware cloth (NOT chicken wire!) needs to be very well attached.
Many of us started with chickens and had losses because we didn't understand how to actually protect them. We learned, and the chickens suffered while we learned.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom