chicken eating eggs :/

CochinBrahmaLover

Girl, I'm FABulous
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Warm.... Under a blanket... In Alaska...
So our lil bantam EE domino has been eating her eggs she lays!! And when I came out and saw the egg and picked it up (got yolk ALL over my hand) our other EE, standard, came running and pecked at it!!! How do I stop this because we like eggs and we get 1 a day so were not happy if it gets eaten.

Hey there Fairbanksian!

I had an egg eater, she became dinner. It's next to impossible to break them from doing it. Now I won't dispatch any that eat the broken egg, that is normal for them but if I catch one actually pecking the egg to get into it, she's becoming a meal. If you egg breaks during laying, put some straw in there to cushion the egg when laid. I've had a few break when we have 16 boxes and every bird has to use box #2, by about the 5th or 6th egg, one will break. Just have to go out three or four times a day to collect them, prevents the breaking from hitting another egg.

Good luck up there, we've been -20 here and my birds are not happy about it.

ya we had -50 yesterday (and today) and we lost a chicken to cold shock. I got a frozen egg with a peck in it and a raw egg with a peck in it, havent witnessed her though. We like these chickens so they aint being dinner sry. lol, they have lots of hay but she usually lays in the next box where i found the frozen egg but the raw i found outside of the box. It could be the other hens
idunno.gif
We have 3 hen, Domino, coco puff and nugget our orpingotn but shes never laid and never really been a problem at all in any way. We migt get rid of them though since were getting chicks but it would be in the summer. We also have a roo but he never eats any treats so idk

Have you investigated "roll away nests"?? -- there are some threads here regarding them. The basic idea is that the slant will roll the egg away from the chicken after she lays---so that she cannot get to it. (It rolls out of her reach and into a protected area.)==

You may also put some fake eggs (ceramic, wood etc) in the nest box so that when the hen pecks on them they will never break and she may be broken of the habit.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom