chicken eating rabbit food????

tntpeeps

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
hmm.png
I was wondering....i am on my way to gettin my chickns, and my sister in law has rabbits....she said i can have her rabbit wastes, which include their feed and straw....i want to put this in my compost...my new chicks will have access to my compost and garden....will it hurt my peeps if they eat the rabbit food that will inevitablely end up within their reach???????
thanks!!!!

I used to keep my rabbits and chooks together... rabbit feed is just copressed alfalfa.. it is harmless if the chooks eat it.. but from my experiences, the chooks have very little interest in rabbit pellets, rabbit poop or rabbits themselves... don't worry about the chooks getting into rabbit waste.. chooks are basically nture's garbage disposals.. they can and will eat most anything, especially if it moves...

ok, thanks!!! cant wait to get my girls....am looking for some pullets, i dont think i am ready for the liitle ckick ckicks yet!!! so excited!!! i already have names for them!!!!
thanks, again!!

tnt
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes my chickens and rabbits use the same house.Sometimes rabbits empty their food out but my chickens are happy to grab it.They have full feed of laying pellets but if when I feed the rabbits if some falls the chickens get it.Clean up patrol.The only thing is that rabbit food draws moisture and will mold fast so watch for that as animals should not have moldy food.

Quote:
chick chicks don't stay little for long...I have some that are just about 1 1/2 months old and they are very large.. and messy.. but there is nothing like watching them grow up right before your eyes...

btw when I say CHOOKS I don't mean chicks.. it is the Australian word for Chickens.. I got into the habbit of saying Chook because my wife is an Aussie..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom