Chicken eating rat poop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CALI CHICK, Apr 2, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    OK - I know this is disgusting, but our Barred Rock has taken a liking to rat poop! [​IMG] We never had pests until we got our chickens. The rats sneak into the chicken yard and knaw on the coop door to eat the chicken feed. We try to keep the food cleaned up and out of reach, but the rat(s) keeps coming back. We've baited and killed many, but the word is out in the "rat community" where to find the free food!
    Before I can look around and rid the chicken yard of rat droppings each morning, our Rocky searches for the little terds! Again - Yuk! [​IMG] She had gobbled dozens up before we came to realize what she was eating.

[​IMG]Does anyone know if she is likely to die or contract a disease from the rats? I know some people keep these creatures as pets and they seem rather healthy, but it is really un-nerving to have a favorite chicken looking for these morning delicasies from the neighborhood rodents!

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Oh chickens. They'll eat anything. :sick

Sorry, I don't really know how to help you. :/

3. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    yes, they will, and its gross!

i dont know how to help you but i must defend rat lovers-
    Rats are only CLEAN if they are pETS, WILD rats

4. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    are NOT clean,sorry

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Sorry to revive an old thread. I wondered if the OP has any updates. Are your chickens all still healthy or did they catch something? One of mine seems to have just vacuumed up a load, so I'm a bit concerned!

6. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Actually all my chickens are still alive and well! They either have real good immune systems or we have clean rats around here![​IMG] I hope your chicken is OK

7. cvande

cvande New Egg

May 14, 2015
    mine are doing the same..it makes me think twice about eating the eggs..will the eggs make us sick?
    I am surely grossed out and have backed off on eating my 'farm fresh' eggs! gross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by