Chicken Egg had a Worm.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jr-chicken-man, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jr-chicken-man

Jr-chicken-man New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to post this. Questions have been raised as do ""Chicken eggs ever have worms.?" Well today my wife cracked an egg open to find this little devil in there. Did some reading, and the word is, that at this point medications is needed, and egg production for consumption should be on hold till the meds have passed. Im not an export in this area, but wanted to post this to help get the word out. Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

This happens when worms in the intestines crawl toward the vent and then make a left turn up the oviduct and they get encased in the shell with the white and yolk. However when this happens, it is definitely time for a worming.

You can use either Wazine in the water which will take care of round worms only (and this looks like a round worm) , Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen. Both of these will take care of nearly all other worms. The Wazine you can get at the feed store, some feed stores carry the Safeguard and the Valbazen you will need to order on line.

And yes, egg withdrawal is 2 weeks after the last dosage for either of these wormers.

Here is a nice article from our learning center on worms, worming and wormer dosages...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

Welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! That must have been a nasty surprise! TwoCrows has you on a good path towards worming the flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I don't know much about worms. Two Crows has given you excellent advice.

Hope you can fix the problem!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh my [​IMG] Your hens will be glad to get rid of their "stowaways." Welcome to BYC

6. kurczaki

kurczaki Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    Did you see any worms in your chicken's droppings?

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I too have seen a worm in an egg from our chickens a long time ago.

I worm twice a year now and repeat in 10 days. [​IMG] Sounds like you have a plan.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some good advice already! I hope you can rid your birds of worms soon.[​IMG] I've been fortunate that my birds haven't had any serious problems with worms.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi,
    WOW,,,,,,,,the picture says it all. Thank you for posting !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by