1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken eggs question for incubator-

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by obsessiveanimallover, Jul 2, 2011.

1. obsessiveanimallover

obsessiveanimallover New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    I just put my eggs in the incubator about an hour ago. My question is- How long do the eggs stay fertile ( like days/weeks)? I know my eggs are about 2-3 weeks old because I was waiting on my incubator to arrive and to get adjusted and stuff. I dont want to put them in and then be dissapointed when nothing hatches out in three weeks. Any suggestions?

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] You are probably pushing the limit, but I'm sure there are some out there that will tell you they hatched eggs that old. You might go to the hatching section of the forum and read some of the threads at the top .. lots of great info!

[​IMG]

3. obsessiveanimallover

obsessiveanimallover New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    I didnt realize I was in the wrong section until I posted:) Thanks for the reply though! I wasnt planning on buying my own incubator and was just going to use a friends but I thought it would be better if I actually knew what to do this time ( all my babies died last time from wrongful information:/ So my eggs are a little old, but I hope that I can get a couple out of them!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Thats ok that you posted in the wrong section. I was confused the first time I posted a question. But I would say not to bother hatching those eggs. Eggs stay fertile for about 7-10 days and slowly die off after that.

So if I were you, I would start over with fresh eggs so you are not sitting waiting for 21 days and nothing hatches. [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] Don't know much about hatching, but welcome! You came to the right place for answers!

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Can't help on hatch, but good luck.

10. totallytang

totallytang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    nj
    [​IMG] Hi from PA! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by