Chicken eggs - something isn't right?

Delta2 23

Flock Master
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
My pullets LT and Cherry have started laying too!

First eggs always seem to be double yolkers...
tongue.png

It took them five months instead of four for Feathers and Eggie, maybe because they grew up during winter?

Last edited:
Hm... something seems to be the matter with Feathers. I went to her nest today and there was a white, wrinkly egg that seemed very ... hmm, elastic, I should put it. Very soft.

What do you suppose the problem is?

Quote:
They often have some kinks to work out when they first start laying, similar to how they often lay double yolkers, just not as cool. As long as she's on a good diet etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a regular thing.

Quote:
They often have some kinks to work out when they first start laying, similar to how they often lay double yolkers, just not as cool. As long as she's on a good diet etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a regular thing.

Feathers is one of my old grumpy hens. She's just passed her second birthday last month...
hmm.png

Sometimes when hens reach the end of their laying years, they sometimes "revert" back to the kind of things you see in pullets. Like witches eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:

Feathers is one of my old grumpy hens. She's just passed her second birthday last month...
hmm.png

Oh, I've had some of my older ladies do the same sort of thing when they start laying again after a molt, could that be what's going on with her? It's scarier when they're older like that, seems to be when they're more likely to have problems with internal laying etc. but I hope it's just a one time deal for her.
fl.gif

Thanks, I hope so too
smile.png

My hens have never had a molt in their two years and (almost) three summers of life. Feathers lays year-round. The eggs got smaller during winter, but she never stopped. She's an egg machine
tongue.png

Quote:
What's a Witch egg?

not entirely sure, maybe she was referring to my chicken's egg that went all retarded and soft.

Back
Top Bottom