chicken emergency

waco76

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 22, 2010
I have chicken that is uzing egg yoke from her backend she can still outrun me. any ideas or suggestion?

I have chicken that is uzing egg yoke from her backend she can still outrun me. any ideas or suggestion?
Get something ready to put her into for later today. You might also want to get something ready in case you have to do an internal, so to speak, on her. Rubber gloves, I like KY Jelly as it's a lot like water and won't cause problems later. Another good thing to have is vitamin E capsules, 400 iu. Also have a camera ready so you can take picutres. People can't see if you don't have pictures.

When it starts to get dark and they go to roost that's when you grab her, I say grab but you need to be gentle in case there is broken shell in her and bring her in so you can evaluate her better than just glimpses as she runs away from you. Not trying to be funny, been there, done that.... Once you have her inside I would first put her into a sink deep enough to cover her vent with warm water or if you have a sprayer in the kitchen you can gently spray her off with that. Pay close attention to what is coming off of her. Are there pieces of shell? Anything that would make you think the egg broke inside of her?

check her last nite no shell inside or out. It is runny yoke and white liquid that is comming out of her vent. this am she just sit and dose not want to move. any suggestions?

you must start her on antibotics ASAP this leads to infection! hopefully it was a internal lay and the shell never formed. otherwise the shell cant be resorbed it must be removed the best you can. if you feel no shell it likely was a internal lay with no shell formed get her on antibotics fast because infection is common with this. best wishes

check her last nite no shell inside or out. It is runny yoke and white liquid that is comming out of her vent. this am she just sit and dose not want to move. any suggestions?
Cool about the shell. I use a human chewable calcium tablet, 500mg with vitamin D 1000 iu. Break it up in a small bit of water. If she is drinking, let her take the water on her own, if not you will have to give it to her orally. I have never done this myself, I do know you can't just squirt it straight into their mouths. They'll aspirate if you do. Again, if it were me, I would open the beak and using a syringe with out a needle, put a few drops in and then allow her to close her beak and swallow. The more you can get into her the better. 1 pill a day. Too much of a good thing will cause it's own problems. I would also give her the warm baths or the rinsing with warm water to keep her clean.

Back
Top Bottom