Chicken enrichment? My chickens scoff.

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
Let me begin by saying I'm not a big cabbage eater. But I needed a red cabbage for an experiment ( blue pickled eggs anyone?). I only used about one-third of the cabbage and I knew if I put it in my fridge it would become a science experiment truly. So I thought CHICKENS! I grabbed a length of 10 gauge wire, stabbed it through the core, Twisted the end and covered it so no eyes got poked out. And out to the Run. I hung it so it was only about two inches off the ground, intending, once it was discovered, to raise it up to jumping height. 3 days later, there's not a peck mark on it. Either my chickens are like me and don't like cabbage. Or they're saying screw this enrichment, we've got all the excitement we can handle.

I had the same experience and that is true of pretty much all kitchen scraps. I've found that if you introduce chickens to something when they are young, they are much more likely to be interested in it later.

I had the same experience and that is true of pretty much all kitchen scraps. I've found that if you introduce chickens to something when they are young, they are much more likely to be interested in it later.
Maybe true. Always before, I just tossed scraps on the ground. And there was a frenzy. I have one or two damaged pears still in my tree. They really love those. Maybe I'll try hanging one of those tomorrow and see what kind of reaction it gets.

Let me begin by saying I'm not a big cabbage eater. But I needed a red cabbage for an experiment ( blue pickled eggs anyone?). I only used about one-third of the cabbage and I knew if I put it in my fridge it would become a science experiment truly. So I thought CHICKENS! I grabbed a length of 10 gauge wire, stabbed it through the core, Twisted the end and covered it so no eyes got poked out. And out to the Run. I hung it so it was only about two inches off the ground, intending, once it was discovered, to raise it up to jumping height. 3 days later, there's not a peck mark on it. Either my chickens are like me and don't like cabbage. Or they're saying screw this enrichment, we've got all the excitement we can handle.
My chickens dislike fruit and veg! Not apples pears. Not cabbage, cucumber, fussy girls! My husband says I’ve spoilt them !

I was wondering the same. I have tried berries, fresh my garden, frozen, and lettuce, beets, and carrots, nothing! They don't like it one bit. They are still chick, about a month old. The youngest a week and days. and no one wants to even look at the good stuff. lol

Back
Top Bottom