Chicken Exihibitions

FreeRangeSpirit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Idaho, in my chicken pasture
Hi! I just showed my chickens at the state fair, and I won trophies again. But, I am wondering how they judge. Does anyone know what the judges look for? Nice, feathers, cleanliness, etc? I don't have enough money to buy the Standard of Perfection book, so can anybody just tell me?
Thanks!

The three main things that the judges are looking for are: Conformation (The bird's body type, weight, etc.), Color (it has the correct coloring for the variety), and Condition (Cleanliness, no ragged feathers, no feathers missing, etc.).

What breeds do you show? I could look it up for you in my Standard of Perfection.

Last edited:
Were you showing as a member of 4-H? If so, there is some variance as to the system of judging when compared to most mainstream poultry shows. With regards to the standard of perfection, what they are looking at is how that bird conforms to or deviates from the breed standard for that particular breed - what breed(s) do you keep and show (this will help in explaining what is looked at since it varies from breed to breed as far as what a "perfect" specimen should/shouldn't have). On the 4-H side of it, though, they are also looking at your knowledge of the project, your handling and presentation of the animal, etc - so, yes, at that point they are looking for a healthy bird, a clean bird, one that has been properly prepped for show, etc. Did they have separate showmanship classes? At the state level they generally do, but I have also seen some places where the classes may be small and to make things quicker the judge will be evaluating both the showmanship side of things and the animal judging side of things at once and deciding top animal and top showman. Your local extension office (oversees the 4-H program) can likely help you find some good info on the poultry project, judging information, etc - you may even be able to request your score cards, etc showing what the judge was looking at/for and how they marked your birds/you for each of those areas. Some of the cards can offer a lot of insight as it really breaks down what the judge is evaluating for each of the areas judged.

BTW, congrats on your wins - have any photos of you and your birds? Slight sidenote - I was born and raised in Idaho (Council) and still very much consider it to be "home".

Try your local library for a copy of the SOP. We have a statewide access program here, but I found a copy right here in my tiny towns local branch.

Even if it's an older version, you can check with other breeders to see if your breeds standards have changed drastically.

Thanks BantamLover55! I show Black Giants, Australorps, and Speckled Sussexes. My library does not own a copy of the SOP so thanks, so much! By the way, Ol Grey Mare, i love Idaho, and that is cool that you lived here! FYI I am using this info to write an informative speech on what makes a perfect chicken, per se.

Thanks BantamLover55! I show Black Giants, Australorps, and Speckled Sussexes. My library does not own a copy of the SOP so thanks, so much! By the way, Ol Grey Mare, i love Idaho, and that is cool that you lived here! FYI I am using this info to write an informative speech on what makes a perfect chicken, per se.

You are very welcome! Would you like some info on your breeds?

You are welcome!

Black Jersey Giant SOP Description:

Disqualification: White in feathers.
Standard weights: Cock is 13 lbs., hen is 10 lbs.
Comb, face, wattles, ear lobes: Single comb, Bright red
Eyes: Dark brown
Neck: Moderately long and full
Back: Rather long, broad, nearly horizontal
Tail: Rather large, full, well-spread
Wings: Medium size, well-folded, carried at same angle as the back
Breast: Broad, deep, compact
Legs and toes: Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from front, black, bottoms of feet yellow

Back
Top Bottom