Chicken Eye is Big

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TerriL, Sep 9, 2013.

1. TerriL

TerriL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    One eye on my chicken looks like it is sitting on top of a blister or something. Somewhere I think I have see something like this but I cannot remember where. The swelling or blister or whatever makes the eyeball sit ontop with the big bulge is underneath the eye. I hope I explained that OK. I cannot get a picture of this guy yet. I anyone knows if this is some specific problem let me know so I can look it up. Thanks Terri Lee

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    Yes that looks very close. Thank you. I guess I had better read that and find what worked.
    Thanks again, Terri

4. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    I haven't read the entire post yet but her eye is wide open so I don't know if its the same thing or not. She has had this for 4 months or so and is never sick at all. I just dont know, her eye is clear but it looks like the pupil is pushed up toward the top of the eye. Terri

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like a respiratory disease. That is what usually causes eyes to swell up big. Other than that it could be a tumor I suppose. Common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    Thanks for your input. I am debating if I should lance it or just wait and see what happens next.
    I think I will wait and see if any other thoughts pop up. Thanks Terri

7. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    Just an update, I finally decided I had to do something even if its wrong so I wrapped her in a towel and lanced it. I had to pull the bottom eye lid down because it was over the cyst or whatever it was. I had expected puss but instead I got clear liquid. After I cut it I got all the clear liquid out and just a bit of blood. I was not as prepared as I thought I was I did not have any kind of antibiotic to put in her eye but I guess I will wait and see how she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by